ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-09-2018, 09:28 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

This site has been around for so long that there is a generational gap starting to show up now. Fantastic resource. Always has been. Classified are gold. Probably got 90% of my gear from them and still buying/selling with minimal hassle. Astro interest comes and goes depending on work and weather patterns but in the end aren't you just glad you have an active forum to come back to share your pics and ask questions?
Old 30-09-2018, 10:23 AM
RD400C (Garth)

I am relatively new and do a lot more reading than writing on the forums. I hope the site is not in decline, but I think it could do with a birthday or spring clean, especially on the opening page, a quick update of images of the month and other links to current date. BUT we all have day jobs and lives to get on with so I imagine like most things Australian this is all run by volunteers.

I find this forum very helpful and the insight provided by the members is highly valued.

I hope it continues to grow, but to grow it needs new members across all age, gender and social groups.

Perhaps we all need to just do more posting, keeping it respectful and helpful as always

Cheers
Old 30-09-2018, 11:37 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
when my wife sees I'm on IIS, she kicks the power cord out of the socket.

Maybe she's trying to ' tell ' you something ....
Old 30-09-2018, 11:51 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

If there is a perceived decline in astronomy-related activity, and I can't say there is not, a few other factors could be at work.

1. For the past year the weather has been anything but friendly. Summer was longer and hotter in most parts of the country and cloud cover seemed to be almost unending for the greater part. My own astrophotography activity dropped down to almost zero for a long while. This would also have impacted on spontaneous star-parties and get-togethers.

2. I think that we went through a period during which there was a deal of high-handed and somewhat uncivil posting with self-described experts in this and that pontificating endlessly and heaping scorn on those with the temerity to disagree with them. It was discouraging to say the least.

3. For my part, newcomers should be welcomed and encouraged. Today's newcomer will be tomorrows purchaser of that item you want to sell.

Peter
Old 30-09-2018, 12:09 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Maybe she's trying to ' tell ' you something ....
Old 30-09-2018, 12:22 PM
raymo

The only thing I have noticed is that the number of experienced members
answering newbies' questions seems to have declined, resulting in newbies
with two minutes experience helping newbies with no experience by
offering advice which is often incorrect, which is unfortunate, to say the least.
raymo
Old 30-09-2018, 12:41 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
...a few other factors could be at work.

1. For the past year the weather has been anything but friendly.

2. I think that we went through a period during which there was a deal of high-handed and somewhat uncivil posting

3. For my part, newcomers should be welcomed and encouraged. Today's newcomer will be tomorrows purchaser of that item you want to sell.
Peter
Thankfully, Townsville weather has been perfect, possibly enviable for others "down south". Though with this comes another year of vicious water restrictions...

#2: Sadly yes, though having lurked 4Chan for 12+ years, I guess I'm desensitised. Now that is a a site "in decline". Traffic wise, it was once the 5th most popular site on the whole internet. Now, it resembles a sad, failed experiment. Still, the specific interest sections can be good, with wisdom to be found. Most sections however, are best forgotten, from a public (mental)health point of view.

#3: Amen Brother.
Old 30-09-2018, 12:48 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Things change.

I see it this way...

(...a text wall of good stuff few could disagree with...)

I often think the place goes down hill because I am here.
Nah Man - no chance of that. I don't believe in Horoscopes or Deities, but I believe in you. There's always a whimsical solution, or mitigation to life's problems, to be found here, in a neat blue box with "xelasnave" in the title. If these solutions are not "right", they are at least entertaining.

Don't pull the plug on us now Dude...
Old 30-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

I'm gonna stay away from the other convo but,
Alex, you always bring happiness to this forum with your posting! There is no chance in hell that you bring this forum down, your posts are so insightful and interesting to read!!!
Keep up posting!!!
Old 30-09-2018, 03:42 PM
trent_julie

I check ISS occasionally. For me it has been crucial for developing my interests. However, the thing that annoyed me the most was the apparent cliques and politics. I stopped posting images and inventions years ago because of it.

Trent
Old 30-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I don't think that IIS is in decline, I think that some members are getting too serious.

When I first joined it was a fun place to be, everyone was light hearted and there was lots of banter going on. new members got a warning that everything was good natured and don't take anything too seriously.

Nowadays every second thread is closed because it is hijacked for someone's personal agenda and usually has nothing to do with the original post.

My thoughts are that IIS will be around for a long time to come and we should just relax and have a good time which I believe was the original intention of this great forum.

Cheers
Old 30-09-2018, 05:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I'll still be here when I turn 100
Old 30-09-2018, 06:32 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
My only gripe are the political threads , I see enough of that elsewhere so prefer this to be an escape from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_julie View Post
However, the thing that annoyed me the most was the apparent cliques and politics. I stopped posting images and inventions years ago because of it.

Trent
We agree.
Please report anything that you feel may be against the TOS.
It helps us tremendously and we do read every report we receive and will take action if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I don't think that IIS is in decline, I think that some members are getting too serious.

When I first joined it was a fun place to be, everyone was light hearted and there was lots of banter going on. new members got a warning that everything was good natured and don't take anything too seriously.

Nowadays every second thread is closed because it is hijacked for someone's personal agenda and usually has nothing to do with the original post.

My thoughts are that IIS will be around for a long time to come and we should just relax and have a good time which I believe was the original intention of this great forum.

Cheers
They were good times Ric, where everyone had a good laugh around here.
Brings back memories.
I still like to have a good laugh.
Life is way too short.

RB
Old 30-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Decline or not, I cherish the real life friends I've made on here over the last 13 years.

H
Old 30-09-2018, 09:45 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I for one love this place....

Lurked here a while before taking the plunge & buying my first real scope from an IIS member. Learned a lot on here about visual observing & received plenty of helpful advice & opinions when I asked for help.

A number of members on here have helped me with technical issues & encouraged me to extend myself & attempt things I would never have done before (like making my own cables)

Not a total noob on visual stuff anymore but, still much to learn. Now venturing into short exposure astrophotography & & the encouragement & advice I've received on here is phenomenal.

As for noobs advising noobs; not necessarily a bad thing IMHO, much can be gained from other inexperienced folks journey, & there is always someone more experienced here to correct anything that is innacurate. That's also part of the learning experience.

Without this place, I probably wouldn't have got started, & without this place & it's wonderfully generous members I probably wouldn't have seen a tenth of what I've seen & learned.

Oh & Alex, please never stop with your posts, they are wonderfully encouraging, generally insightful & always entertaining.

My $2.45 worth...
Old 30-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

The dust storm on Mars has made this a somewhat disappointing time.

We just need a good comet or nova to create a bit more excitement.

Or even a good space mission. I really fired up when those first pictures from Pluto rolled in a few years ago.
Old 30-09-2018, 10:23 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Just keep posting your observations Bob, at least the visual side will stay thriving.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
The dust storm on Mars has made this a somewhat disappointing time.

We just need a good comet or nova to create a bit more excitement.
Bob,

Just because it's you, and because you asked so nicely, here is a (probable) naked eye comet for you to observe over the next few months as requested.

http://joe-cali.com/astronomy/observ...018/INDEX.html

Joe .
Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Perhaps IIS community, with so many word masters, could put together a few articles for the equipment reviews section? There are numerous reviews from 2005 and thereabouts, and then either there was less equipment being purchased, or we couldn't be bothered writing reviews, or energy is being directed somewhere else, like political threads etc.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Bob,

Just because it's you, and because you asked so nicely, here is a (probable) naked eye comet for you to observe over the next few months as requested.

http://joe-cali.com/astronomy/observ...018/INDEX.html

Joe .
I am impressed!

Have U also any info up your sleeve on the next supernova?