Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2020, 02:06 AM
netwolf

Jupiter 29/8 is 3mins to long?

Just getting back into this, started a bit late this season.
Was a bit rushed in my setup and forgot to put inthe L (UV/IR block) on the Asi224mc, not sure its needed for Jupiter. Also focus may have been a bit off. But bigged impact i think was the smoke from back burning on me and the seeing. Also i think i need to maybe use less than 3minutes on Jupiter.
Rushed setup meant i was hand centering while it was imaging as there was some small drift and also i had some really bad backlahs need to work on that.

pure luck that as i started capturing Ganymede was in Transit with Io nearby.

Setup C8 on Evolution mount (alt/az) Asi224mc 3min Captures stackedd in AS3, Registax Wavelets and some touch up in PI.

Animation with all the stacks (initial ones i think the focus was off) as later ones i could get more details out but went overboard i think with wavelets.

Animation
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2EoSYawUmLC3NGFW8

uncompressed TIFFS
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xEMqtBsvS3wBWksv8

What is the consensus onf OSC capture times, for my July 2018 (my best to date) i used 3mins per stack. Is this too long for OSC? I had planned to derotate those in Winjupos but never got around to it. But as those come out good i sort of stuck with 3mins , i read that somwhere but now thinking is it to long.

Also would like to hear for longer OSC what are peoples workflows?

Thx for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2020-08-29-0956_9-Jup_195651_pipp_lapl5_ap75_r6w_pi_DxO.jpg)
39.6 KB92 views
Click for full-size image (2020-08-29-0959_9-Jup_195953_pipp_lapl5_ap56_r6w_pi_DxO.jpg)
40.7 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (2020-08-29-1002_9-Jup_200256_pipp_lapl5_ap56_r6w_pi_DxO.jpg)
39.4 KB71 views
Old 01-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Nice images, but I think you are correct, your focus might have been slightly off. 3 minutes is fine for Jupiter, AS!3 is more than capable of correcting any slight rotation effects that occur during that time (I use 3 minutes for Jupiter also).

I take my cues on this from Darryl (aka Kokatha Man) on this matter, you can see his images on his website below. He strongly advocates 3 minutes for videos taken with a colour camera, and if 3 minutes is good enough for him, then who am I to argue?
http://momilika.net/WebPages/Jupiter2019Pics.htm

Andrew
Old 01-09-2020, 12:28 PM
netwolf

Thanks Andrew, yes i rember now it was Darryl i got my 3mins from as well when i searched last time i looked at his posts on CN. He does some amazing shots of the planets, am waiting to see what he churns out with the new ASI ZWO Camera, pottential replacement for the 224mc.

Focus , and tracking are what i need to fix. I know i have had tracking a lot smoother previoulsy so just need to work the kinks out and better alignment. I just did a quick allignment on Jupiter for this run.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Ittaku (Con)

It will depend on the final magnification you can get as to how much rotation will affect your image. The larger the aperture, the less time before details get smeared. That said, there's no perfect amount, but at very high apertures you do start losing contrast after 1 minute according to this reference:

https://www.planetary-astronomy-and-...-time-jupiter/

But he does suggest 2 minutes is fine.

I'm just quoting others here, I'm a rank beginner myself
Old 16-09-2020, 11:25 AM
Paul Haese

I have been imaging Jupiter for around 3 minutes for years (since 2004). More recently I went to 150 seconds for all three channels. Then derotate in WinJupos.