Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 29-05-2015, 12:42 PM
SpaceNoob (Chris)
Atlas Observatory

I use 5nm Ha, 3nm OIII and 3nm SII 36mm Astrodon filters. Works well for me, I don't lose NII and can usually image under full moon conditions. I'll probably be getting some 50mm square filters in the same configuration soon, though it will probably require a kidney....
Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I went through this recently for the AP Riccardi Honders. In my case I already had a nice 5nm Ha and wondered if there was a gain going to 3nm.

I asked Don Goldman and he basically advised me to stick to the 5nm as it also picks up N11 emission whereas the 3nm does not. But if I were imaging in light pollution the 3nm was the one to use.

I get great results from the 5nm Astrodon. Good to know though there is a 3.5nm one from Baader now. Although I only see it in Ha not O111.

Greg.
Sometimes you need to just post something different. Seperate 3nm Ha and 3nm NII imaging allows a colour palete not possible any other way.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:25 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I live in OK-ish skies here in Canberra. Can see the Milky Way easily most nights when the Moon isn't out.

Question: I have an STL/FSQ combination with the Baader hydrogen alpha (7nm), sulphur II (8nm) and oxygen III (8.5nm) filters.

Will these be OK to image under moonlight, or, am I going to have to contend with gradients/background issues?

H
Of course narrower will be better, and I've since switched to Astrodons, but I think you can still achieve great results with those Baader filters.
Here are a couple of SHO images taken with those filters from the middle of sydney, and I don't even check the moon phase when imaging from here as it doesn't really make any difference with the amount of LP I have to deal with...
https://hughsblog.wordpress.com/2014...nebula-in-sho/
https://hughsblog.wordpress.com/2014...ght-reprocess/
Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Fantastic, Hugh.

I'm struggling with obtaining round stars at the moment. I'm not sure what the go is. I've switched to using my FS-60CB with the SBIG remote guide head for guiding. I suspect there's some differential flexure happening. DEC is fine, it's the RA axis that's causing me grief.

Cheers for the inspiration.

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Of course narrower will be better, and I've since switched to Astrodons, but I think you can still achieve great results with those Baader filters.
Here are a couple of SHO images taken with those filters from the middle of sydney, and I don't even check the moon phase when imaging from here as it doesn't really make any difference with the amount of LP I have to deal with...
https://hughsblog.wordpress.com/2014...nebula-in-sho/
https://hughsblog.wordpress.com/2014...ght-reprocess/
Old 02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Fantastic, Hugh.

I'm struggling with obtaining round stars at the moment. I'm not sure what the go is. I've switched to using my FS-60CB with the SBIG remote guide head for guiding. I suspect there's some differential flexure happening. DEC is fine, it's the RA axis that's causing me grief.

Cheers for the inspiration.

H
Thanks H

I used to worry about round stars, then I got the AO and now I don't even think about it. Unless it loses the guide star due to clouds the stars are round, period.

I hope you figure it out, I hate to think there's something stopping you using that lovely FSQ!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Turns out it was dodgy polar alignment -- my mount must have been bumped somehow. After a few tweaks and some PEMPro loving, it's all good.

Just taking a 30-minute hydrogen alpha shot of Eta Carinae Nebula as a test. The guiding graph in MaxIm DL isn't wavering more than half-a-pixel. Sweet.

H
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Correction: my guiding graph is flatlining.

RMS of 0.122 and 0.111.

Perfect round pinpoint stars. The FSQ-106N is shining.

H
Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Correction: my guiding graph is flatlining.

RMS of 0.122 and 0.111.

Perfect round pinpoint stars. The FSQ-106N is shining.

H
Is such a thing even possible?! Man, even with my EQ8 (when I had it), I think the best I ever saw was in the are of 0.5, mostly around 0.75 - 1.0

Either my seeing is terrible, or I'm doing something very wrong.