Old 18-04-2013, 07:52 PM
batema (Mark)

Best time to image the Sun?

Hi,

I know that it would be during the daytime but is there a better time in the day to image the Sun.

Mark
Old 18-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Although I am not a pro at taking pics of the sun, I find in the morning is the best time for me. Usually before the sun heats up too much of the land and create too much heat turbulence.. others may have other ideas.
Old 18-04-2013, 08:06 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I have limited experience but it seems to me it doesn't matter because it's all about seeing conditions & seeing is pretty random. One of my best results ever was today @ roughly 3PM.
Old 18-04-2013, 08:18 PM
batema (Mark)

Thankyou all and John your images look fantastic. Did you take 2 images at different gamma settings to get different details. We are having a go on Saturday for the first time using both dmk 21 and 41. Excited.
Old 19-04-2013, 06:26 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
Thankyou all and John your images look fantastic. Did you take 2 images at different gamma settings to get different details. We are having a go on Saturday for the first time using both dmk 21 and 41. Excited.
Hi, & yes two different settings although it's not totally necessary, It just looked really good (very contrasty) when I happened to lower the gamma while previewing the live feed. Anything that looks good while previewing is normally going to present itself in the end result.

Good luck on saturday & look forward to any results!

PS one thing I SHOULD mention is local conditions etc depend on what scope you'll be using for Solar imaging. My PST is 'thermally stable' which means as it sits out in the sun & slowly warms up, you don't overly get nasty stuff happening from tube currents and/or heat shed from optics creating undesirable effects. SCT's & newtonians are terrible in this respect so it pays to get stuck into imaging as soon as set up is over, also if the seeing is nice, as early as possible in the day would be best...It's not as hot in the mornings. What scope will you be using?
Old 19-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Mornings are usually the best time...
I ended up covering my SM60DS/ ED80 scope with kitchen foil to reduce the direct heat on the OTA/ camera....
Old 19-04-2013, 06:36 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Worth doing to a PST Ken?
Old 19-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

John,
Probably not...but as you're at the cutting edge of PST imaging it may be worth a trial. It does certainly keep the camera cooler also (thermal noise????)
Old 19-04-2013, 07:08 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Yes, my DMK gets incredibly hot while it's out there...Even at night it gets warm enough so I might try & rig up a cooling device for it..I love peltier's

I also figure the colour black is not suitable for something out in the sun. Anything black on the PST I might either paint white or coat with alfoil..Just to see if any difference is made.
Old 19-04-2013, 07:44 AM
batema (Mark)

We will be using a brand new Hunt 100T/Ha with a DMK 21 and 41 with the use of 2.5 x powermate. Can not wait. Weather is clear for the weekend.
Old 19-04-2013, 09:02 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

You mean a LUNT but we know what you mean..Impressive bit of kit & can't wait to see the results.
Old 19-04-2013, 09:34 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov View Post
Yes, my DMK gets incredibly hot while it's out there...Even at night it gets warm enough so I might try & rig up a cooling device for it..I love peltier's

I also figure the colour black is not suitable for something out in the sun. Anything black on the PST I might either paint white or coat with alfoil..Just to see if any difference is made.
i rig up a clamp and cardboard to shade the camera - that stops the direct heat of the sun
Old 19-04-2013, 10:45 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Ah yes, good idea David! I have seen that arrangement but forgot. Thanks for the memory jog.
Old 19-04-2013, 11:09 AM
batema (Mark)

Thankyou all.