Old 12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
hotspur (Chris)

EOS Utility not working.

Having a few issues connecting my canon DSLRs to laptop and operating them
from laptop.

When the cable from camera goes into USB port I get a strange little sound,the
operations for camera panel does not want to operate.

What should I do-delete the whole program,and down loaded a fresh one from canon site?

I had this similar problem once before,it appears some thing goes of the rails and gets corrupted.

Any help or advice would be great-if anyone has a link to Canon driver site,that might be handy.

Thanks Chris
Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Check you USB cable, make sure it is the correct one as I found out some time ago.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re EOS issue

I checked the cables-I used the one that came with 450D with the 450D

and same with 50D-No go-just got unhappy little noise.

I have deleted the Software and currently down loading ver 2.9 from Canon now.
Old 13-12-2010, 09:18 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Form my 350D at some point, some day my computer without waring decided not to open EOS Utilities whenever the camera was connected, from then on. I was still able to open it manually once having connected the camera and use it fine. That continued for at least a year or two. Then when I bought my 7D and installed it's new version of EOS Utility the problem went away. If you are still having troubles I'd suggest at least plugging the camera in and trying just opening the EOS Utility software manually.

Roger.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:19 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

You can always use alternative prog APT - it is even redscreen to save your eyes.
Free download from web
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59003
see this thread
Old 13-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Jennifer,

The problem is a lot more fundamental than just switching applications.

If EOS Utility is failing to work, I doubt anything else will, either.

Chris, load up EOS Utility manually, go through its preferences, and make sure that it is set to start up automatically upon detecting a camera's presence.

Failing that, as you've mentioned, a reinstall should fix it.

H
Old 13-12-2010, 12:53 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Re-installing drivers would be the most important issue to deal with first as the Canon application are seperate installations.

If all else fails contact Canon
Old 13-12-2010, 05:44 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re connectivity issue

Thanks for help.

Still big problems,I uninstalled EOS utility,also some other canon software.re installed the 450D disc which I did work,it did not work,the tried the very latest
from Canon Aust.

There seems to be be some connectivity issue,the cables are correct,the camera displays busy screen.so the cameras are trying.

The computer makes a little 'no-no' sound,and the after three seconds it makes the normal sound like when when you take out a USB item.

I noticed there was some canon software I could remove of my list of programs.also when I was installing the 450D software for utility.A message came up say it needed 'Maxlm DL to be installed before it would go on.I fiddled around and it appeared to install, (I removed that program Maxlm DL about 4 or 5 weeks ago-having a tidy up)

So maybe that is a issue?

I can do all other functions with my canon software,But the Utility page-Control page only the monitor folder lights up,I cannot click on the other 3 options.I tried when the camera was hooked up.

Does anyone have any slight idea of what could be causing conflict?

I will have to ring Canon.

I have a feeling when one of the advanced astronomers comes up for a viewing night he might be able to do a proper clean sweep of all the software,and the we can do a re install.(but that might not be for months-the way the weather is)

I bought APT and installed-a very fine piece of software-I hope I can use it one day.and as Humayan said it did not know the camera was connected,when it was.

I am going to install the 450D Cd software on another family members computer and see how it goes.

If all else fails I may have to buy a new laptop on Wednesday-I am going to 'Hardly Normal' to pick up a new LCD Tv.But I hope I do not have to buy a new lappy,I'd rather put that money towards the 7D

Any advice and help would be good,I will give Canon a ring,that seems the positive advice at present.

Thanks-Chris

Last edited by hotspur; 13-12-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 13-12-2010, 06:28 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi Chris,

Something quite drastic but I usually completely re-install windows from the beginning. This essentially resets all drivers and programs where multiple programs may replace or corrupt shared Windows files.

I usually do this once every 6 months, On my next run I am going to look at imaging a complete setup inlcuding non windows applications so I can revert to it with future re-installs.
Old 13-12-2010, 08:21 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re EOS software

Yes.Melcolm.

That suggestion would no doubt fix the issue,it does appear some sort of crossing of file and mix up.

I had another issue,with a small program that I could not delete that was causing hicups.

One of the advanced computer users that visits our property,some opened up program lists and did some vodoo stuff (sorry I am not much into computers-so hence the lack of right words).Anyhow-the chap cleaned up the program and the issue disappeared ,so I imagine this might be similar.

Chris
Old 14-12-2010, 09:05 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

I could be wrong but I think APT needs some of the Canon binaries to run, which are installed with the EOS utility.

So if that is borked then APT may not run.
Old 14-12-2010, 08:28 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re EOS software

Thanks for input.

I talked to chaps at 'Nerd herd',and they have heard of this issue with Canon

software with XP.

There is a wizzard connectivity issue,which can be solved by getting into the registary of computer and deleting all canon software.

And the re-installing it,it will not work by deleting it from the usual 'add and remove' procedure.There is tainted software which will not be removed that way.

I have have had a similar issue once before,with other software.

Chris