Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 PM
tmz (Tim)

Thank you. I still havent bought a new scope, hardly even used the binos.. been a bit busy at the moment but still interested in buying a new one
Old 13-03-2018, 12:40 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Hey guys.
I bought/got a 8" very cheap from a mate with a bunch of gso plossls. Viewed the moon and jupiter, saturn.
Ended up getting 15x70 binos and have had a little look around. Turns out the telescope has bad pitting on the mirror so im keen on getting a 10" dob (collapsible if possible). I had a look at a second hand one the other day but had pitting on the mirror (he said it was only a few years old).
It was a saxon.

So my first is, saxon vs skywatcher? Which is better and what will last longer?
second question is, is there any good sales on right now?

Thanks in advance, t.
Congrats on the Binos 15x 70 are great but for me need a tripod , I struggle with 10x50 so normaly use 7x50.
Are you sure the mirror on your scope is Pitted? you have to take it out and clean it first , I have a lot of scopes and my Tasco 11TE-5 its 55 years old and the mirror is still ok so its nothing to do with age rather how well it was looked after , I saw a 6 inch reflector where the mirror was rusted after 2 years , it was left outside open .... in a harbour town !
Old 13-03-2018, 08:09 PM
tmz (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkonrad View Post
Congrats on the Binos 15x 70 are great but for me need a tripod , I struggle with 10x50 so normaly use 7x50.
Are you sure the mirror on your scope is Pitted? you have to take it out and clean it first , I have a lot of scopes and my Tasco 11TE-5 its 55 years old and the mirror is still ok so its nothing to do with age rather how well it was looked after , I saw a 6 inch reflector where the mirror was rusted after 2 years , it was left outside open .... in a harbour town !
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I have a goodish tripod (from when i liked photography), so i ditched the plastic rubbish adaptor that came with the binos and bought a sturdy metal one. I then realised the camera tripod probably wasnt the best for them as its awkward to view. I find the binos are good while leaning on something
The scope had no covers on it. I took it out and tried carefully cleaning the mirror. As soon as i seen the mirror i knew it was no good. After ages of carefully trying to clean it, i tried scrubbing one of the outside ones with a cotton bud, defiently pitted.

Thanks all!
Old 25-03-2018, 05:21 PM
N5SE (Sal)
33.8 S, 151.1 E

Skywatcher is the more expensive one of the two