Old 22-06-2012, 07:31 PM
jtm92

Saxon 15012 EQ3 Reflector Telescope

I'm looking at this telescope as my first, and I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and if so what your opinion is. I'm primarily interested in viewing deep space objects, and I really don't want to get anything that's only good for planetary viewing.

http://www.saxon.com.au/products/pro...roductid=10226

All opinions are welcome, I want to get a good (unbiased) idea of the pros and cons of this telescope.

Thanks
Old 23-06-2012, 10:24 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Yes in my humble opinion that would be a great 1st scope , the f/8 (1200mm ) is a good lenght for both lunar/planetary and deep sky .
Just a word of caution .. ( there is always one or two ) , have you ever used an EQ mount like this one ? if not , expect a steep learning curve , they are not that hard to learn how to drive ,, but theres a lot to know before it becomes 2nd nature , eg . ballancing , meridian flip , setting up pionting south , levelling .. etc etc .
Its not hard to learn and it just takes lots of practice ( time ) to get them working at their best , and if not they can be a real pain in the neck ( literally ) .
If this all seens like to much to learn have you given the good old gardin viarity 150mm f/8 Dobsonion a thought ? same optics , no steep learning curve , you will be observing in no time , just place the mount on the ground , fit the tube and you are observing savings money that you can use for a few accessiories ? .
I am sure most would agree on the Dob route , and in the future a set of tube rings and an EQ mount so you can fit the tube on to an EQ mount ?
Thats my 2c worth , hope you enjoy what ever you descide , and please keep us informed as to what you decide.
Brian.
Old 23-06-2012, 04:19 PM
jtm92

Thanks Brian. I think I will probably go with a dob, it does seem a lot easier to use, and I can always buy an equatorial mount later on. Are there any particular brands to stay away from when it comes to dobs?
Old 23-06-2012, 04:31 PM

Na mate , these days the quality is very good and most commertial reflectors and refractors are made in a handfull of factories in China/Tiawan .
I would look at Andrews Communations , there GSO Dobs are very good quality and cheep . Also Bintel's line are also good value ( GSO as well ? ). They also come with good eyepieces and a few accessories . .
Just buy from a local dealer , not e/bay as that way you get a good warrenty if any thing is amiss.
Let us know what you decide .
Brian.
Old 23-06-2012, 05:20 PM
jtm92

After looking at both, I think I'm going to go with the 8" from Bintel. It comes with a bunch of stuff that I figure I'm going to end up with anyway. Here's the link: http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/...oductview.aspx

Are there any other accessories that you would recommend?
Old 23-06-2012, 06:19 PM

Spot on , a great scope , 3 eyepieces and a good finder , nice .
About the only thing I would get to make this the best observing set up would be an observing chair , and at $179 these are well worth it .
I'm sure others here would agree ,
Go for it ! and enjoy , as this will last you for years before apature fever sets in .... thats another story ,, .
Brian.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Asteri (Labros)

I have recently been hit with the astronomy bug.. And I LOVE IT. My first mistake and just as costly was not asking for advice first up before committing. i bought a 130 mm newtonian ( celestron sky prodigy ) and now after 3 weeks i regret it. Now Im looking at the saxon 150mm refractor.
If anyone thinks im making a mistake or has better advice, I would love to hear from you. I only ask because its only a little bigger than the one mentioned early in the thread.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 PM

Hi Labros and welcome , Here is a photo of my 150mm f8 refractor and its a great scope ,,,BUT , you have to realise these are a BIG!!! scope and need a decent mount and tripod to hold them , the EQ5 that they come with is to small to hold a tube of that size , sorry to say .
You need at the minium a HEQ5 like mine here , or better an EQ6 .
But them the tripod legs are to short for such a long tube so you need a longer one to view at the zenith comfortably . This makes a very BIG package that takes lots to set up and more importantly take down at 1am in the morning , .
This is my opinion .
Go for an 8 inch Dob as the next step up from your 130mm , sell it and go the Dob way .
Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (031 (1000x669).jpg)
127.4 KB180 views
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 AM
jtm92

Hi Labros,

I ended up going with the 8" dobsonian from Bintel, and for $500 it's fantastic value. It took me 10 minutes to put together, and it's very easy to use. I haven't had a chance to do any deep sky observing yet (way too much light pollution and ambient light in my area) but the moon looked amazing through the filter that comes with it.

One thing I did end up doing is building a base with castor wheels to make it easier to move, because this telescope is certainly not petite. You'll also need to find a way to stop the mount from rotating when you don't want it to; the bearings in the roller mat are quite good, which is a pain if there's a breeze.

All in all, I doubt you'll regret buying this scope; I love it. It's easy, it's big, and best of all, it's a great price, leaving more money in your pocket to be spent on other extras like a collimating tool and sky maps/planisphere.

P.s. the guys at bintel were a fantastic help when I was buying the scope.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Labros,
I have a 150mm f8 frac on HEQ5 too and great scope...but as Brian says it's a big scope. Love it though. I'm in Melbourne not far from you ,if you want to see the thing in the flesh so to speak send me a PM, so you can check it out for yourself.
Matt
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Asteri (Labros)

Thank you all for your advice. I should of asked here before my purchase.
Now I will have to make a decision on refractor or dobson. And Matt i may just take you up on your offer. And Brian Love the pic, What a great looking scope.
Old 18-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Thanks Labros yes a sexy scope , with awsome optics , but a real handful for a beginner , but I suppose you gotta start somewhere , and if you think it for you ,,, go for it .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteri View Post
Thank you all for your advice. I should of asked here before my purchase.
Now I will have to make a decision on refractor or dobson. And Matt i may just take you up on your offer. And Brian Love the pic, What a great looking scope.
Old 18-07-2012, 05:36 PM

you had a chance to view thru the 200mm yet JTM92 ?
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm92 View Post
Hi Labros,

I ended up going with the 8" dobsonian from Bintel, and for $500 it's fantastic value. It took me 10 minutes to put together, and it's very easy to use. I haven't had a chance to do any deep sky observing yet (way too much light pollution and ambient light in my area) but the moon looked amazing through the filter that comes with it.

One thing I did end up doing is building a base with castor wheels to make it easier to move, because this telescope is certainly not petite. You'll also need to find a way to stop the mount from rotating when you don't want it to; the bearings in the roller mat are quite good, which is a pain if there's a breeze.

All in all, I doubt you'll regret buying this scope; I love it. It's easy, it's big, and best of all, it's a great price, leaving more money in your pocket to be spent on other extras like a collimating tool and sky maps/planisphere.

P.s. the guys at bintel were a fantastic help when I was buying the scope.
Old 19-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Asteri (Labros)

OK i just decided on a dob. I'm torn between a gso 12 inch or a sw 10 inch.
problem is I can upgrade the sw with a goto down the track. But i cant with the GSO, or at least I think there's no GOTO for The GSO. So now i have less than 24 hours to decide on one or the other.

Last edited by Asteri; 19-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 19-07-2012, 08:50 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Get the Skywatcher 10" is big enough for loads of DSO's
Old 21-07-2012, 10:48 AM
jtm92

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
you had a chance to view thru the 200mm yet JTM92 ?
Brian.
I have indeed. Haven't been able to see any dsos yet, but I've been spending a lot of time looking at Saturn and trying to learn where things are without using Google sky map .