Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Moon

Had some fun Observing the moon. I found a cheap Shoot & Go camera I had lost for some time around the house. I was quite surprised how useful it could be to actually take shots regardless of the images not being so sharp compared to the pros in here. I just held the camera up near the eye piece and took video clips, later just selecting the best with snippet and playing in paint shop pro.

It's really helped me to see more of the moon by having a good record that I can spend more time looking at...Kind of helps me to scrutinize more. Here are the results...as I say, I was simply just muking around, but still all the same...I think I might start keeping a few records like this to help me get my head around the moon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (test 2.jpg)
58.5 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (6mmX2Barlow12inchDobshoot&gocamhandheld.jpg)
105.5 KB29 views
Old 30-11-2009, 12:46 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Nice one David.
It's the logical way to log your viewing isn't it.
Do you have a copy of Virtual Moon Atlas??
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/
You should be pointing that little camera at Jupiter, you know that don't you.
Old 30-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Davekyn (David)

Thanks jjjnettie...Yea...I think I will try Jupiter...would be great if it would help with transits, but for some reason I am not feeling the confident with Jupiter and this camera...might see if I can get a little shoot & Go Holder of some sort-then my chances might improve...will give it a try none the less.

Good Program...looks as if I will have fun with that too. WARNING though...AVAST pick the following up as a Virus whilst I installed the file rar. "avlpro40b"
" It was a html file the blew the siren "C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualMoon\doc\UK_Encyclo 31.html" I've put it in a chest for now, but will most likely delete it! Hope I can access this documentation when the need arises...Oh well...
Thanks again...I really like the program regardless and am sure it must of been me somehow? It will take more than a virus to stop me.
Old 30-11-2009, 08:24 AM
vindictive666 (John)
KeyboardNotFndPressAnyKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekyn View Post
Thanks jjjnettie...Yea...I think I will try Jupiter...would be great if it would help with transits, but for some reason I am not feeling the confident with Jupiter and this camera...might see if I can get a little shoot & Go Holder of some sort-then my chances might improve...will give it a try none the less.

Good Program...looks as if I will have fun with that too. WARNING though...AVAST pick the following up as a Virus whilst I installed the file rar. "avlpro40b"
" It was a html file the blew the siren "C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualMoon\doc\UK_Encyclo 31.html" I've put it in a chest for now, but will most likely delete it! Hope I can access this documentation when the need arises...Oh well...
Thanks again...I really like the program regardless and am sure it must of been me somehow? It will take more than a virus to stop me.

hi i had the same "virus" come up a long time ago and chased up thru google from memory it is a web browser exploit ? had it on my comp with no major probs ( i had avast as well)
someone else here will know more re this "virus"

regards john
Old 30-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Davekyn (David)

Thanks for the feed back John...I'm not to worried about that virus-It's good to know that you've been able to get by with it. As I say, i'll most likely delete is as I don't think the HTML file is even needed. Given that it's a HTML file, it does not surprise me that something of a virus was tied to it...I got two system files which are of more concern to me in the chest...but given I can reinstall the OS and be up and running in no time...it's more of a warning for others...I might throw the system back a day or two and play with the install again. Thanks again, it's good when we can confirm little nasty s such as viruses.
Old 30-11-2009, 10:35 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Google Virtual Moon Atlas. There are plenty of other places to download the program.
When I had my 10" Dob, I used my compact camera to capture .avi's of Jup and Saturn. Used a 2x barlow, a 12.5mm ep and just butted the lens of the camera up to the ep. I had 12x optical zoom on the camera so I could get right up close.
I should have another go. Haven't done any planetary work for many many moons.
Old 30-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Davekyn (David)

It's all good Jeanette...I'll give it a go & & upload soon