Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Canon EOS 7D on the way.

Jeez canon are churning out camera models like dohnuts at the moment. This one is 18megapixels, 8fps video and 1080P HD Video. Here's a review:- http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/
Old 02-09-2009, 12:08 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

omg, I think I'm in love.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I saw some leaked photos a week ago, but, didn't think much of it.

If the price is good, I might get a backup.

More importantly, the new 100mm f/2.8L Hybrid IS USM looks pretty darn good!

Regards,
Humayun
Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

apparently, IQ is better than the 50D, which by all accounts was very average. I'm now quite scared of what Canon will offer for its next 1 series release. I don't want more mp, I want quality and low noise throughout the entire usable range.

The new 100mm f2.8 lens sounds awesome, something I've been saying Canon should have done a long time ago.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I saw some leaked photos a week ago, but, didn't think much of it.

If the price is good, I might get a backup.

More importantly, the new 100mm f/2.8L Hybrid IS USM looks pretty darn good!

Regards,
Humayun
Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 AM
matt
6000 post club member

So they're sticking with video capability for this model?

It's entirely my own 'thing', but I'm not fussed about having video capabilities in my DSLR. I like my stills camera to be exactly that

Like I say, it's just a personal preference and I'm sure many people see it as a plus. I'm just not a fan.

Each to their own. Otherwise, it looks quite nice.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
apparently, IQ is better than the 50D, which by all accounts was very average
They would want to do some work in that area, I found the per pixel sharpness on the 50D to be poor, despite the higher resolution the sharpness at pixel level was poor in comparison to the 20D. I notice from the preliminary reviews that the distance between the microlenses and pixel sensors has been decreased, hopefully this will improve the sharpness and overall resolution.
I don't have a problem with HD video but Canon really needs to put some effort in to follow focus if HD video is to be of any real use.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 PM
leon

Ok that is impressive, how much please.

Leon
Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Pixel size will directly affect levels of sharpness (diffraction). Worse, smaller pixels play havoc with smaller f stops.

I personally believe Nikon has it right with the D3 - 12mp on a FF sensor is just about the sweet spot. Remember Canon is now doing funny things with the pixel sites, and post noise reduction via chips is becoming better as well. I'd like to see the D3 taking advantage of these types of technologies, we'd probably see another stop to 2 stops improvement.

I'm really worried about the next 1 series camera from Canon, I do not believe it will meet my wants or needs, forcing me to leave Canon at great personal expense and move to Nikon. Oh well...such is life.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
They would want to do some work in that area, I found the per pixel sharpness on the 50D to be poor, despite the higher resolution the sharpness at pixel level was poor in comparison to the 20D. I notice from the preliminary reviews that the distance between the microlenses and pixel sensors has been decreased, hopefully this will improve the sharpness and overall resolution.
I don't have a problem with HD video but Canon really needs to put some effort in to follow focus if HD video is to be of any real use.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Ok that is impressive, how much please.

Leon
I think I saw US$1699 somewhere, but it's not on sale yet
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Ian Robinson

Don't think I'll be interested in it.

Happy with my 40D.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Jeez canon are churning out camera models like dohnuts at the moment. This one is 18megapixels, 8fps video and 1080P HD Video. Here's a review:- http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/
Probably been badly effected by the financial / economic crisis in their key markets. An attempt to pump up sales I imagine.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
leon

Hell Robin I expected at least 5 K, at 1700.00 that is cheap, so it maybe not what I expected.

Leon
Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
Don't think I'll be interested in it.

Happy with my 40D.
Me too at this stage, Ian.

I've only got 5000 actuations on mine....so I'll stick with it for now until I see good reason to jump
Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Here's where I saw the price guess, maybe it is just a guess

http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/g...Announced.html
Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Something to compete with the Sony a900?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Canon don't get much feedback from serious amateur astrophotographers. The ideas of lower amp noise for long duration shots and deeper pixel wells (or pixel wells that software cross from integer to floating point intelligently to prevent blooming didn't occur to them early in the piece).
Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
RB (Andrew)

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I was going to start a new one but found this one instead.

I held off giving my opinion on this new camera until I saw some reviews by actual users and had a chance to use it myself.

The new Canon 7D is a wonderful camera to use, with many new features that not even the "higher" Canon models have.
Solid, well balance and has a beautifully layed out button system.

With the 7D, Canon has created a new niché in their lineup, an APS-C model that sits high in the prosumer category, indicated by it's single digit model number, usually reserved for the FF and Pro series models.

Image quality and ISO performance are superb, close to it's FF sibling.
The inclusion of two Dig!c 4 processors gives it an incredible 8 fps capability at 18 MP and with a brand new selectable 19 point AF focus system, this camera is a dream come true for birding, wildlife, sports and action shots, as well as portraiture and landscape with it's low light level capabilities.

It has a wonderful new viewfinder (full 100%) that is big and bright, bigger than previous APS-C models and has a built in dual axis level that indicates when the camera is level, either through the viewfinder or LCD screen.

It also has new built-in wireless E-TTL flash support and has very high weather sealing.

The inclusion of HD 1080 (1920x1080) video is nice but I don't consider it essential in a camera, still it's nice to have especially when paired up with some nice lenses or for macro work.

I was considering upgrading my old 5D to a 5D MkII but at around $1700 (lowest I've seen) for the 7D, I'm seriously thinking of upgrading the old 20D first and waiting a bit longer for the 5DII to drop further, I've seen it for around $3k atm.

A friend let me use his new 7D for a very quick session, I'm hoping to have another go with it before deciding but I was initially very impressed with this model.

There's just too many other features to list so here are some links if you're thinking of a new Canon body and it's a good time to buy.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Wow, that's a nice review RB.

Sounds like a real keeper.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
rogerg (Roger)

A 7D is my xmas pressent to myself this year I can't wait. I've always hated using my 350D compared to my old 300 Film camera, for so many reasons it took my landscape photography backwards. I can't wait to have my capabilities back with the 7D
Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 PM
h0ughy (David)

nice review RB, you're a tease honestly - that would be a lovely camera to use and play with