Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Poll: Modded DSLR Poll
Poll Options
Modded DSLR Poll
You can only choose 2 options to vote on.

Old 22-04-2008, 12:39 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post

I had a go at adjusting the WB in CS2 of the image you posted too.
It's amazing the hidden detail even in such a small jpg file.

Makes it quiet straight forward to use a modded camera then for terrestrial shots too.
thanks Andrew - that redo looks much better. I didn't have access to PS to try it out.
Old 22-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Craig_L
Craig

Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but if filter 1 on the 40D is a UV/IR filter with similar response to a Baader UV/IR (maybe a little more IR), what is wrong with modding the 40D by just removing the IR cut filter - filter 2, apart from the focus problem by not having the extra thickness of glass, and if you are not intending it for daylight use as well? I was thinking of doing this with the 400D which I assume has the same filter 1 and 2 as the 40D.

Any thoughts?

Craig
Old 22-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_L View Post
Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but if filter 1 on the 40D is a UV/IR filter with similar response to a Baader UV/IR (maybe a little more IR), what is wrong with modding the 40D by just removing the IR cut filter - filter 2, apart from the focus problem by not having the extra thickness of glass, and if you are not intending it for daylight use as well? I was thinking of doing this with the 400D which I assume has the same filter 1 and 2 as the 40D.

Any thoughts?

Craig
This is exactly what Christian Buil states in his write up at http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/eos40d2/filter.htm
(put it into Babelfish for a reasonably readable version)
Old 22-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Craig_L
Craig

Ah, I see it now Terry. My French is not good. Thanks.

Has anyone on the forum tried this I wonder?

Craig
Old 22-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I still have way too much to learn in general before I start thinking about modding my 400D.

Cheers
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

My new SONY A77 has arrived, I won't be modding that BUT I will take a look at my KM Dynax 7D and have a go at that. It won't get used photographically again. The A77 will do dual use though, Terrestial and astro. It's very sensitive and at 24mp should get something useful.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
swannies1983 (Dan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post

If I was going to get serious about astrophotgraphy, I would do what Paul suggested and get two DSLR cameras. One for general daytime use and one for Astrophotography. That way you don't have to worry of colour balance etc.
That's exactly what I did. I had been imaging with my Canon 400D for a year but picked up a modded 30D through IIS about 7 months ago. Only had a few sessions with the 30D but have been impressed with what it can pick up.