Old 23-11-2007, 11:27 AM
DJ N

Q Guide Camera - Colour or Mono?

Hi all,

Looking at purchasing a guide camera for my setup. The intent is to use the C8 for imaging and autoguiding through (my trusty old) 60mm f11.7 refractor on the HEQ5 Pro mount. I have come across some info regarding the QGuide/QHY, and it seems to have quite favourable reports. In addition will not have to worry about additional items such as GP USB boxes and so forth. Furthermore, it works out to probably cheaper than going down the Toucam road.

Anyhow, couple of questions to any users out there

i. Colour versus mono?? After discussing with Gama, the monochrome will have greater sensitivity, but it would be nice to dabble in a bit of lunar/planetary photography without worrying about LGRB filters.

ii. Has anyone run the gear on Windows Vista? I have noticed that PHD has been updated to run on Vista, but have not tried it yet (laptop will arrive any day now).

iii. Is an IR or UV filter required?

iv. Any general comments (positive or negative)??

Cheers,

Daniel

Last edited by DJ N; 23-11-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: imaginging????
Old 23-11-2007, 01:14 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Daniel, I have the mono QHY 5 and use it with a 66mm 388mm fl WO66. Your guidescope is small appature and longer fl - less light and small fov - you should go for the mono camera imho if your main interest is guiding- it has 4x the sensitivity of the colour version and has higher resolution (this last depending on how the guidesoftware handles the debayer routine).

I do not use Vista for capture/guiding so cannot comment on that, the IR/UV filter would be needed for imaging not guiding - again I cannot comment as I have not done any imaging with the QHY5 as yet.

General comment - the camera and chip are excellent - the setup and drivers are a little tricky but for the money is cannot be beaten.
Old 23-11-2007, 01:35 PM
DJ N

Thanks for the feedback John. Good point that the mono would provide for better selection of guide stars due to better sensitivity. Could mean I get away with using the 60mm refractor (but then again a nice new ED80 would be nice).

Cheers,

Daniel
Old 23-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I have the mono camera and I agree with the above that you need the sensitivity. With my 120mm f5 achromat I can find a guide star anywhere with a 2 sec exposure. If I guide through my main scope instead which is a 200mm f8 then I have not always found a star in any field.
For imaging it is a bit flaky and a webcam would be better for planetary imaging.
Old 23-11-2007, 03:27 PM
jase (Jason)

I fully concur with the other comments. If your a proficient DSLR user it may make logical sense to transition to a colour CCD chip. Personally, I'm a huge fan of mono chips and dedicated colour filters, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Go the mono chip.
Old 23-11-2007, 06:53 PM
netwolf

Daniel,

As indicated above the mono would be the better option for guiding. It also shows promise for Solar system imaging. See this thread on the QHY forums. A very nice shoot of the Moon and Mars, with lot of detail.
http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?P...1c&topic=590.0

Regards
Fahim