Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 21-10-2019, 07:24 AM
cwjohn (Chris)

Setting up remote observatory infrastructure

Hi

I now have my remote observatory, at my house, built, and I am looking for advice as to how to setup the computer systems and network.

I have set up outside wireless Ethernet and there is quite a strong signal at the observatory, and the connection is good to my home office. Most of the latest equipment is set up for wireless Ethernet but I want to run some legacy equipment which uses RS232 only, and in the case of the dome rotation RS232 is my only option.

I intend buying the latest MS surface laptop for data processing and this is obviously capable of running the equipment remotely.

There seems to be several ways of connecting RS-232. One involves Ethernet to RS-232 devices and another a local server to USB to RS232 which seems simpler.

My big picture question is whether I should equip a simple computer in the dome to control the systems via usb to RS-232 connections and then download the data to my home office over Ethernet for processing or whether it is really feasible to control the whole thing from my home office. If in fact a computer in the observatory is the best option what is the specification for this device given that data processing would be done separately.

Cost is not really a concern for me. I am more interested in setting up a system that will run with the minimum of operational problems.

I would appreciate any advice from those that have gone through this loop previously.
Old 21-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Hi.

I have an observatory at my brother's place 60 km from me. I found it easier to use a desktop to control the scope and we put in a wired connection to the obs that is fed wirelessly from the house.

I then run a remote desktop connection to the obs computer and let it do all the work while my office computer at home is used to download completed frames.

I am thinking of moving to a high spec Intel Compute Stick to replace the full desktop set up however home renovations are where most funds are directed to at the moment.

Other people will have other ideas.

Hope that is some help.
Old 21-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Paul Haese

I have two remote systems operating 100km from my home. I have a Modem which has port forwarding of all remote equipment. Each piece of equipment has its own assigned port.

From the modem I run an ethernet link to both remote IP power switches and to a computer in both observatories. The IP power switch enables me to turn off and turn on equipment at will and does not rely on someone doing that. You will find you might need to occasionally reboot an appliance because it does not want to play that night. It is very occasional but does happen. Using an IP switch also allows to turn off all the equipment in the observatory between sessions. Since this is in your back yard you probably don't need that but its worth having.

The computer used in each observatory is a Fit-PC 4. It is mounted on the scope and uses about 7 watts per hour in idle with about 12watts whilst working, and has the same grunt as any of the top of the line desktops. I moved away from desktops for two reasons. First of all they are more subject to corrosion due to the fans drawing in moist air. Secondly, they suck up a lot of power. Per quarter I am now significantly more in the black. It also alleviates having long cables going to the scope. This requires powered USB cables which also chew some power.

I remote into the observatories via Radmin and that allows full control. If I am using my phone I used team viewer (this is used for when I am away from home)

I might recommend that you can also use Ethernet over power modules, which works well too.
Old 22-10-2019, 10:13 PM
cwjohn (Chris)

Bart and Paul

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris
Old 23-10-2019, 12:11 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I second what Paul suggests and have a look at a mini PC. Have you thought about getting a RS232 to USB adapter to solve your serial plug issue? In conjunction with WoL (Wake-on-LAN) if you really want to go the extra mile then have a look into UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) this will keep things going during power outages. (You don't want to miss that one in a lifetime moment).