Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2020, 06:00 PM
Saturn488

Swinburne Graduate Certificate of Science (Astronomy)

Does anyone have any experience with studying Astronomy courses at Swinburne?

I am seriously considering undertaking this course this year as I would like to get into the field.

I already have a Bachelors degree in the current field I am working in but looking at a possible change and it looks like this is the best option available as it's online and you can do part-time study.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:44 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi Chrys,

I did an online postgrad cert in Astronomy at Swinburne a few years ago and it was a fun course to do. Mostly research tasks and fairly easy maths. Good forums with like minded people.

http://www.swinburne.edu.au/news/lat...ompetition.php
Old 05-02-2020, 07:08 AM
glend (Glen)

Just be careful. Obviously this has some appeal but as you indicate you wish to get into the field, think about the job potential, and the cost of the course. Speak to previous attendees if you can. Having a meaningless grad certificate may just be a waste of time. Tertiary education in Australia churns out all sorts of Grad Certificates every year. I can tell you from personal experience, as someone who hired for decades in another sector, few people get hired on the basis of a Grad Cert qualification. Experience trumps it easily. A good Masters degree will be a better, and more expensive investment. However the job potential in Australia, from a career prospective, is very limited it would seem.
If you just want to do it for general knowledge, and you can afford it, then sure, go ahead. However, as always, this is a matter of personal choice and it is your time, and life, your investing, and you can spend it anyway you choose. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:33 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If you’re wanting to get into the field (astronomy) and wanting to get into research then the minimum requirement is a PhD; just check every astronomy related job on SEEK. If you’re wanting to go down that path then both Monash and Swinburne offer Masters degrees but don’t go through the SAO program.

If you want to learn a lot about astronomy and astrophysics without some of the heavy mathematics then SAO is great but if you want to work in the field then there are better ways in.