Old 11-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Frostyricho (Stephen)

Starting CCD Maybe

Hello members of IIS,
Some of you may have heard of my other thread about DSLR cameras and getting one but im thinking of maybe a CCD camera, it is compact and some of them give great quality images. But i can not seem to find one that is within my price range ($200-$450). Ive currently modded an old webcam i have and been testing it out for photos of the moon, jupiter and saturn. But i went to extend more into Deep Sky Objects. I know i will have to do long exposures and so im thinking if i get this light compact camera i will be able to get a SkyWatcher EQ5, then again im thinking my telescope may be too heavy for it so ill have to invest in more money. What do CCD cameras do you guys recommend for me within this price range.

Kind regards,
Frostyricho
Old 11-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Hey Frosty, we do on occasion see budget USED QHY8 (original) CCD cameras come up for sale in the classifides for $500 or so. Big chip - APSC. One shot colour - no stuffing around with filters. Cooled chamber - should do -5 to -10 no trouble. However, no fixed point cooling. They run full throttle at all times. But don't let that concern you, the Sony chips in these CCDs are so clean that you probably don't even need darks. So there you go, QHY8. Good luck.

Last edited by Logieberra; 11-05-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Frostyricho (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Hey Frosty, we do on occasion see budget QHY8 (original) CCD cameras come up for sale in the classifides for $500 or so. Big chip - APSC. One shot colour - no stuffing around with filters. Cooled chamber - should do -5 to -10 no trouble. However, no fixed point cooling. They run full throttle at all times. But don't let that concern you, the Sony chips in these CCDs are so clean that you probably don't even need darks. So there you go, QHY8. Good luck.
Hey im looking at them on the internet and they are going for $1,600 dollars:eye pop:

Are you sure you are right, if you are can you send me a link to a website or private seller selling one of these.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Qhy8. Well used. Was $650
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...highlight=qhy8

QHY8 $600
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...highlight=qhy8

These are the listed prices only. Not the final sale price. A bit over your budget, buy if you monitor the classifieds you might bump into one that is a bit rough around the edges, at the right price...

Last edited by Logieberra; 12-05-2015 at 06:51 AM.