Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Tom359 (Tom)

Upgrade ED120 to Esprit 100

Hello all , I have been a forum observer for quite a while and purchased my current scopes from members. However this is my first post, please be gentle.

I currently have a SW ED120 BD and have enjoyed using it over the past 12 or so months. I have recently started tinkering with my DSLR on the back and I have found myself tempted to up/cross grade. I am yet to lug out a laptop and start auto tracking, but have enjoyed the point and shoot and testing my metal with polar aligning for slightly longer untracked images.

My other scope is an Edge HD 8 and I am after a complementary partner for my collection. 900mm vs 550mm for the BD vs Esprit was my first thought and then I got to looking at alternatively upgrading focuser and adding flattener for the 120 (which gives great views) but alas I need some input.

I have two mounts at the moment (AZEQ5 and NEQ6) that should work fine with either option. In truth I will probably part with one of them soon, in preference of keeping a good tracking mount (Neq6?) and having a light weight visual grab and go.

So to the question: Upgrade my ED120? I have looked at the Esprit 100
and also considered the more "exotic"??? Sky Rover UD 115 Tripplet which can be have for just a bit more with flattener (but no case and such). I would enjoy any comments and suggestions please.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Tom, what is it about you’re 120 that has made you think about upgrading?

I’ve owned an Esprit 100 for over 3 years now and I’m very happy with it. It’s excellent optically and shows me far more detail than I expected. Note that my scope made me wonder whether its capabilities exceeded whatever my DSLR was showing me, and when I upgraded to a cooled mono camera the answer was yes

But it can’t defeat the laws of physics...if you’re looking to replace 900mm focal length with 550mm you may be disappointed (assuming the same camera). The Esprit 120 may be a better fit if you want that focal length.

Regarding your mount, the Esprit 100 is about 7kg, so should ride nicely on either of your mounts. The Esprit 120 is quite a bit bigger.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:34 PM
Zuts

Hi,

An Esprit 100 is a great scope, but so is an ED120. When you say upgrade what do you mean?

I have an ED120, great for visual. I would consider ''uprading' to an Esprit 100 for astro photography, but would consider it a downgrade for visual. Of course image scale matters, and they will be different; but I think an Esprit 100 would allow the possibility of taking better photos.

My two cents
Old 13-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Tom359 (Tom)

I understand the 120 gathers more light, the wider field of view will be good I think. I have the edge for higher power and FL if I need. I suppose I am after better quality components like focuser and such. It's a little like the motorbike I have in the garage, when I am not using it, it is nice to look at too.

Collapsible dew shield appeals and it appears the case is half the size of my 120 which takes up more than one seat in the back of my ute.

The other side of the equation is that a focal reducer and moonlight focuser would give me some of the bling and utility for less hassle.

Anyone have any experience with the Sky Rover 115 or similar. Uses Japan made FPL53 etc. Chris from Astronomy Alive sells them. These would push my budget a little more.

I appreciate the discussion and the points raised already.

Thank you
Old 13-09-2018, 10:07 AM
casstony

The Esprit 100 is a good choice and the relatively short focal length is good for starting out in imaging. The only potential issue is that there isn't any facility for mounting a filter inside the adapters like there is on the other sized Esprits (at least that's what I read on a forum - maybe someone here could clarify?)

The fpl51 115mm f/7 triplets sold under various brand names also get good reviews. This scope would cost ~$2000 to import from Telescope Service in Germany. You'd need to add a flattener/reducer.

The correct application of hyperbole would be to say that the Esprit is more exotic than the Skyrover
Old 13-09-2018, 10:43 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I'm about to make the same transition from an ED127 to an esprit 100. One of the main reasons for this is the benefit of the better focuser on the esprit as well as having better CA control. Plus, I prefer widerfield imaging (kind of got sick of planning mosaics. ) Just waiting for mine to be delivered to the store to pick up.
Old 13-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Considering that you have an 8” already I would go the Esprit 100. Photographically the Esprit 100 will outdo the ED120.

If you’re looking at the 115mm 5 element Sky Rover (as opposed to their triplet), I wouldn’t say that they’re great visually due to short back focus. Go the Esprit and you’ll be happy
Old 13-09-2018, 08:55 PM
Tom359 (Tom)

Thank you all,

The sky Rover is the tripplet design. However the Esprit is looking more and more likely.

Looks like I will shortly be parting with my ed120 and azeq5. For a moment there will be room to move in the back bedroom.
Old 14-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Tom359 (Tom)

Have people had good experiences importing from over seas?

I have seen a couple people mention Germany. is that the best place to look for scopes and odds n ends like eye pieces too?
Old 14-09-2018, 07:19 PM
casstony

Depends what you're buying Tom - best to buy an Esprit locally if that's what you're after - you could get one from Ozscopes in Melbourne.

Telescope service in Germany is good for the 115mm triplet. Eyepieces can be purchased at many places.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Tom359 (Tom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Depends what you're buying Tom - best to buy an Esprit locally if that's what you're after - you could get one from Ozscopes in Melbourne.

Telescope service in Germany is good for the 115mm triplet. Eyepieces can be purchased at many places.
Thanks Tony (as usual) very helpful.

I think Bintel have them a fair bit cheaper at the moment too.
Now to get it past the other half... I have been good lately though.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:38 PM
casstony

Bintel's prices are just the standard prices; it's fine to buy from them, though Ozscopes would probably get one in for the same price and you could pick it up in person - that's the only reason I mentioned them.

I bought an Esprit 80 from Ozscopes and they were good to deal with, including after sales service when I had a problem with the focuser.
Old 14-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Tom359 (Tom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Bintel's prices are just the standard prices; it's fine to buy from them, though Ozscopes would probably get one in for the same price and you could pick it up in person - that's the only reason I mentioned them.

I bought an Esprit 80 from Ozscopes and they were good to deal with, including after sales service when I had a problem with the focuser.
Useful, thank you. They were about $300 cheaper the other day. Might be a current special.

Last edited by Tom359; 14-09-2018 at 10:35 PM.