ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Kunama

It’s not Amazon Australia who wants $567 for it, it’s a company called Outback Oasis.....,
If someone is silly enough to pay it, why not set the price high....
Would you work for $30 an hour if someone was silly enough to pay you $70....
All these calls for the government to step in are a waste of time....
Old 12-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Kunama

P.S. IF one really wants the Charon chair why not just buy it from Telescope Express who will send one to Australia for the princely sum of $303.50

Last edited by Kunama; 12-09-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:46 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

If you can find an old Ikea "Svenerik" piano stool, you are good to go. The more recent metal version is the "kullaberg": https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30363650/

Or similar. I've seen piano stools in 2nd hand shops for peanuts.

Personally, I stand to observe, but do have an Ikea "Bekvam":
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50225592/

and a "Frosta":

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60162301/

if I have the desire to sit.

The step-stool I also use as my laptop table during imaging.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:10 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Place a wanted ad here in the classifieds and you’ll probably jag one cheaper than Amazon US might not be Berlbach brand, but functionally...

PS - not sure of price, but Alex makes them http://gondwanatelescopes.com/
I wonder if I get the plans for the original catsperch from Ron @ Wood Wonders, if he can make it...still, will take me a fair while to save my $$$ for such a thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Easy fixed, don't shop Amazon.
Amazon US is good value. Amazon Australia is a massive rip off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I get occasionally bluray from Amazon and thought I'd save loads in shipping on the .com.au but it appears the price is jacked up so much locally that it would still be cheaper to order from the US.
Yup. For smaller things, I'll continue to order from Amazon US and ship to my US proxy shipping address and then from there to Australia. Even with shipping and GST, it's cheaper that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
The powers that be ? don't care because the more the price we pay the more the GST they gouge ! .

Just like petrol , power , water , food etc , etc , its all a big RIP OFF !! .

Brian.
Yup. Electricity costs have far outstripped wage rises...water costs ditto...food costs ditto...real estate costs ditto...Australia is the most expensive country to live in in the world imho and getting worse by the year. Unless you're filthy rich of course. Or, a pollie..
Old 12-09-2018, 01:12 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
It’s not Amazon Australia who wants $567 for it, it’s a company called Outback Oasis.....,
If someone is silly enough to pay it, why not set the price high....
Would you work for $30 an hour if someone was silly enough to pay you $70....
All these calls for the government to step in are a waste of time....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
P.S. IF one really wants the Charon chair why not just buy it from Telescope Express who will send one to Australia for the princely sum of $303.50
Yes, that is true Matt. Still, you'd think Amazon would discourage price gouging...but nope. They really have adapted to the Australian market really well lol!!!! When in Rome, doe as the Romans do...

$300 shipping costs! Massive rip off.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:15 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
If you can find an old Ikea "Svenerik" piano stool, you are good to go. The more recent metal version is the "kullaberg": https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30363650/

Or similar. I've seen piano stools in 2nd hand shops for peanuts.

Personally, I stand to observe, but do have an Ikea "Bekvam":
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50225592/

and a "Frosta":

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60162301/

if I have the desire to sit.

The step-stool I also use as my laptop table during imaging.
I like the look of the Frosta, but it's only rated to 100kg...same as the Bekvam...not much good for us bigger lads...
Old 12-09-2018, 01:20 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I sit on it just fine, and I am...errrr... rather large
Old 12-09-2018, 01:27 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
I sit on it just fine, and I am...errrr... rather large
Ah OK. I'm 120 kg and it being rated to 100 kg makes me nervous (it's not fun when a chair collapses on you, and with my very bad lower back, the last thing I need is to fall heavily on my backside and risk damaging it even more)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:40 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
Ah OK. I'm 120 kg and it being rated to 100 kg makes me nervous (it's not fun when a chair collapses on you, and with my very bad lower back, the last thing I need is to fall heavily on my backside and risk damaging it even more)
Maybe they have a "buy one get one free" deal for christmas. 60kg each
Old 12-09-2018, 01:50 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
120kg? Bantam weight...
Old 12-09-2018, 02:20 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Maybe they have a "buy one get one free" deal for christmas. 60kg each
rofl Marc! That gave me a great chuckle, thank you!

Quote:
120kg? Bantam weight...
*preens his feathers*
Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 PM
RyanJones

I didn't get slapped for my last comment but I'm going to get slapped for this one. Australia does not rip it's people off. Yes things here are expensive and have become more expensive recently but there is a reason for it. We live in the best country in the world. Our lifestyles are plentiful and on a global scale, we have very little to worry about. Our land abound in natures gifts and our beauty is rich and rare. We have grown as much as the rest of the first world but with one small but significant problem...... We don't have the population to support it. We would all like infrastructure to be better ( I refer to the many NBN complaints ) but the fact is we live on a monstrous continent. Laying a cable between anywhere is a huge undertaking. This goes for roads and rail. We simply do not have the population to fund these things without having high taxes or high land taxes to pay for the roads between our homes. We live in the best country in the world with so much opportunity, but there is a price to pay for that. Rather than complaining about things that are wrong, let's do something about it so we can spend more of our time enjoying the amazing place we live. If the online shop is over priced, don't shop there, if they're all over priced then get off our asses, get into the shed and make our own. Let's start living in this glass half full country rather than complain about the size of the glass !
Old 12-09-2018, 07:53 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
I didn't get slapped for my last comment but I'm going to get slapped for this one. Australia does not rip it's people off. Yes things here are expensive and have become more expensive recently but there is a reason for it. We live in the best country in the world. Our lifestyles are plentiful and on a global scale, we have very little to worry about. Our land abound in natures gifts and our beauty is rich and rare. We have grown as much as the rest of the first world but with one small but significant problem...... We don't have the population to support it. We would all like infrastructure to be better ( I refer to the many NBN complaints ) but the fact is we live on a monstrous continent. Laying a cable between anywhere is a huge undertaking. This goes for roads and rail. We simply do not have the population to fund these things without having high taxes or high land taxes to pay for the roads between our homes. We live in the bat country in the world with so much opportunity, but there is a price to pay for that. Rather than complaining about things that are wrong, let's do something about it so we can spend more of our time enjoying the amazing place we live. If the online shop is over priced, don't shop there, if they're all over priced then get off our asses, get into the shed and make our own. Let's start living in this glass half full country rather than complain about the size of he glass !
and this is exactly why these ripoff mongrels can get away with it. Attitudes such as this...

As to your NBN comment, sorry, but you're swallowing the industry's BS hook, line and sinker. 95% our of NBN connections will be in our urban areas. Laying cable for those areas is both a small area, and far easier than doing the whole country. Anything that's not urban, can get NBN satellite.

The NBN itself is a total joke, as is Internet in this country. Overpriced, and under performing. Whenever I talk to friends overseas, they laugh at how bad our Internet is.

PS My last job was working for an ISP, as a tech. I have a wee bit of an idea of what I'm talking about .
Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 PM
RyanJones

Thank you Dave.

To be honest my opinions are based on the evidence I see in front of me and are in no way based on any company rhetoric. Regardless of which side you come from or which option you have formed, the whole point of my post is for people to stop finding problems with things and create our own solutions. And that goes for anything, even if it's NBN, come up with a better solution and make it happen. If you don't like something do something about it. Don't be part of the herd you so despise. Either that or fall into line, baa like a sheep but don't be surprise when your voice isn't being heard over the rest of the herd.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Kunama

Quote:
I didn't get slapped for my last comment but I'm going to get slapped for this one. Australia does not rip it's people off. Yes things here are expensive and have become more expensive recently but there is a reason for it. We live in the best country in the world. Our lifestyles are plentiful and on a global scale, we have very little to worry about. Our land abound in natures gifts and our beauty is rich and rare. We have grown as much as the rest of the first world but with one small but significant problem...... We don't have the population to support it. We would all like infrastructure to be better ( I refer to the many NBN complaints ) but the fact is we live on a monstrous continent. Laying a cable between anywhere is a huge undertaking. This goes for roads and rail. We simply do not have the population to fund these things without having high taxes or high land taxes to pay for the roads between our homes. We live in the best country in the world with so much opportunity, but there is a price to pay for that. Rather than complaining about things that are wrong, let's do something about it so we can spend more of our time enjoying the amazing place we live. If the online shop is over priced, don't shop there, if they're all over priced then get off our asses, get into the shed and make our own. Let's start living in this glass half full country rather than complain about the size of the glass !
Great post Ryan, unfortunately around here it’s likely to fall on deaf ears.
Some people just like to focus on the negatives and then go around blaming everyone else for their lot in life.

We are indeed very fortunate here in Australia, we have a lifestyle very much envied by many living overseas. I doubt I could have retired comfortably at 55 elsewhere. Of the 38 countries I have visited, this is indeed the best one...
Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
And that goes for anything, even if it's NBN, come up with a better solution and make it happen. .
Like fibre to the home? I wish someone had thought of doing that before we committed to this mess.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Like fibre to the home? I wish someone had thought of doing that before we committed to this mess.
Yes fibre to the home would have been better for each individual...... Would you have been happy to wait another 5 years though if YOUR house was last on the list to be connected ? That's wouldnt have changed the outcome, it would have changed the complaint.

I feel I've hijacked this post and it was far from my intention. My idea was to simply be the devils advocate for why things cost what they do in his otherwise beautiful country.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 PM
RyanJones

Let me bring this full circle and link my thoughts to the original topic.

Jeff Bezos started Amazon to bring online shopping to the masses and he achieved that. Not happy with the services currently available he didn't waste energy complaining about it, he did something better.

Not happy with the way NASA was going about space exploration or bringing that to the masses, he used his accrued wealth to start Blue Origin. He didn't complain about not being able to go into space, he did something about it.

Spread your wings people and fly. You live in a land full of opportunity. If your friends overseas laugh about the quality of your internet, laugh back and say I live in a place that gives me the security, the lifestyle, the abundance of resources and the freedom to do something about it.
Old 13-09-2018, 02:00 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Amazon US (USD $199, about AUD $279:

https://www.amazon.com/Berlebach-B50...lebach+B500682

Amazon Australia:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Berlebach-...lebach+B500682

yeah...you read right, Amazon Australia wants AUD $567.78 for the very same item (non inclusive of shipping)...

this is absolutely outrageous...

So, where are the powers that be, protecting Australian consumers from this price gouging/raping I wonder...

yeah, this is a political comment. Big deal. When our Australian government starts adequately protecting Australian consumers, instead of letting local retailers and distributors screw us over, I'll be quiet. Until then...

My attempt at an explanation...

• Amazon is similar to eBay in that it accepts third party vendors into the fold in addition to running its own operations.
  • The first link on Amazon US clearly states that this is being sold by Amazon (right had side of image 1). Amazon has a fullfilment warehouse near me which stocks the item and according to Amazon, if I order it by 3pm today, I'll get it on Friday, as I am a Prime Customer (it's Wednesday morning here).
  • Your second link clearly indicates that the item is sold via a third party supplier in Australia, named Outback Oasis, NOT Amazon Australia. The only fulfillment center in Australia is at Dandenong South, Victoria.
  • It looks to me like Outback Oasis is a drop shipper. They order from Amazon AU, which in turn queries Amazon USA and then have it drop shipped via Amazon AU, then to you. Amazon passes on the shipping cost between fulfillment warehouses for international orders (California to Victoria in this case), thus the $230. There must be five in stock at the Victoria warehouse just waiting to be sold.
  • The cost of the item is just the third party vendor gouging.
  • Lastly, what amazes me is that shipping from Germany to USA vs AU should be about the same. In bulk, it's not much per unit. $230/unit to AU seems excessive, but if they only shipped 5 units, it may be correct/accurate.

OIC!

P.S. Noticed that Amazon offer Prime in Australia at $6.99/mo ( https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/prime/pipeline/landing ), whcih is cheaper than the US. It states that it offers free international shipping on "millions of eligible Amazon US items over $49 when you shop from amazon.com.au". Don't know if this is one of the items, but you can trial Prime for 30-days for free and then see if you can get it without shipping (or maybe cheaper shipping).
P.S.S. Some may notice a "W" just below the price in the first image. This is NOT part of Amazon, but an add-in that searches other websites to look for the lowest price. https://wikibuy.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Amazon USA.jpg)
72.4 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (Amazon AU.jpg)
46.1 KB18 views
Old 13-09-2018, 02:11 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:

They muyst be reading ISS forums...

Not longer available, but for a higher cost, you can get https://www.amazon.com.au/Berlebach-...dp/B00WD6A8I8/