ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-07-2018, 12:09 AM
jsmoraes (Jorge)

I need confirmation of supernova at NGC 1892 - 2004

If any one has image of this area from 2004 or with that bright object, please notify here to I follow it and confirm that occurrrence.
Thank you for attention.

full story and images at:

http://jsmastronomy.30143.n7.nabble....619.html#a1778
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...t-a-supernova/

Last update from James Guillochom - ITC Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian CfA :
"Hi Jorge,
I've added an entry for this event to the OSC (giving it the name CGS2004A, for now), it will appear in our system by tomorrow night (our update script runs nightly). This will help collect data on the object in a central place. You'll notice I listed the type as "candidate" as I still think this object is not yet confirmed.
I looked at the CGS paper that presented the observations for this galaxy, and sadly all images were collected on the same night (Jan 20, 2004), although they were collected in four colors so that is still somewhat helpful. I think we need at least *one* more image while the supernova was active on a different date to be confident that it is real, *or* some late-time emission from the remnant, either in the X-rays or the radio.
My biggest worry is an M-dwarf flare: these stars are dim enough that not even HST would see them, but when they flare they can be very bright. The galaxy is a bit off the galactic plane so that is helpful (less stars when you're away from the Milky Way's disk), but there are still plenty of stars in the local neighborhood to worry about. That's why I think we need the second image and/or late-time emission.
By the way, I have an account on the TNS and can submit a discovery report on your behalf when/if we're confident the object is real. I think it makes sense for credit to be jointly shared by you and the CGS team, so we should pull them in the loop at some point.
Best,
- James"