Old 16-01-2018, 08:23 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

Equipment pricing

I've been searching for a dual axis motor drive for my EQ3 mount and what I have found is astounding, prices range from $199 up to $339 for exactly the same item, although the brands are Orion, Saxon and Skywatcher the product is exactly the same.
Just for a Saxon motor drive set the prices are $209, $245, $269, $289 and $339, that's $140 difference for an identical item.
These kits are made by the same company (Synta I do believe), it beats me how retailers can get away with this.
Highway robbery!
Old 16-01-2018, 08:30 AM
glend (Glen)

They get away with it because buyers do not shop around, and some will dangle "service" as a carrot to justify a higher price. If you don't need full service hand holding then buying cheap is fine but some folks want comfort in buying from a full service supplier.
Old 16-01-2018, 02:06 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

most products of any sort can be bought cheap just without the sticker or badge of the "brand" you trust which have never had anything made themselves. its how the world works. complain to them not us.
Old 16-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Kunama

As Glen said, it is necessary to shop around. Consider also placing a wanted advert on the classifieds here, quite often others have these items filling their cupboards.....
Old 16-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Does the retailer have a physical shop, or are they internet only?

Does the retailer have the item in stock, or are they drop shipping? If it is in stock, what was the AU$ exchange rate when they acquired the stock? What were the shipping costs to acquie the stock?

Just some food for thought as to price variance
Old 17-01-2018, 05:07 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

All prices were obtain from retailers who have a physical shop!
$140 price difference for an identical item. Even allowing for exchange rates, no I don't think so.
Old 17-01-2018, 07:38 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

Well, Sil, complain to them! That's exactly what I did do, and consequently I wouldn't buy a lens cap off one particular retailer now!
Old 18-01-2018, 09:20 AM
doppler (Rick)

Everyone forgets that retail rental costs can be very high (this being the main reason many smaller retail businesses shut down). The overhead costs, higher electricity tariffs and staff wages, can make it hard to keep cost down especially with smaller low turnover shops.
Old 18-01-2018, 12:28 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
As Glen said, it is necessary to shop around. Consider also placing a wanted advert on the classifieds here, quite often others have these items filling their cupboards.....
This is sound advice that will save you a small fortune in the long run and resale if needs be down the track is usually line ball or minimal loss .