Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-03-2015, 01:19 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Another Windows 8.1 issue with Starshooter not connecting ?

Hi all Astro-liano's
PHD is not finding the StarShooter - I have the QHY10 & drivers working fine on this Windows 8.1 64bit
But No Go finding Starshooter with PHD 1 or 2 with relevant drivers from both QHY and Orion sites - hence even the last PHD and Shooter drivers from Orion speshly for W 8.1 64b ? Thought that was to sought it out, but no ?
The Starshooter pilot light is Not glowing bright, very dim, needed to wiggle the connection at camera to get bright and thought the camera may have developped a problem, tho once connected to a very old XP system lappy, all working perfectly also with my main PC, Light shines bright ............. I have tried both QHY10 and Starshotter through all 3 USB ports - QHY10 works on all - Starshooter working on None!

Must be a driver issue with 8.1 ? ?

Any input or further ideas appreciated

So, Main Question ?
Has anyone have running the Starshooter & PHD with 8.1 ?
If So, Would especially appreciate your feedback
Thanx ...
Old 14-03-2015, 06:06 PM
acropolite (Phil)

SSAG has problems with recognition on W8.x and USB3. That may be your problem.

My problem was incorrect reporting of the VID/PID by win8.x on USB3. I ended up re-imaging the laptop then reinstalling on the Only USB2 port on the laptop.
There may have been an easier fix, there is an option in the device manager to show hidden devices (installed but not plugged in), any incorrect drivers should be able to be removed that way. The original thread with my findings http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...highlight=SSAG
Old 14-03-2015, 06:52 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

If it's a usb3 issue you could try using a usb extension cable between the camera and the computer. I had an issue with a usb3 card reader when I first got it where it would only work with a usb3 port if I used an extension cable. The cable wasn't usb3 so when using it the computer would recognise it as usb2.

However it works fine now without the extension so it must have been fixed in an update I guess. Perhaps make sure your Windows is fully up to date too.
Old 14-03-2015, 10:51 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
SSAG has problems with recognition on W8.x and USB3. That may be your problem.

My problem was incorrect reporting of the VID/PID by win8.x on USB3. I ended up re-imaging the laptop then reinstalling on the Only USB2 port on the laptop.
There may have been an easier fix, there is an option in the device manager to show hidden devices (installed but not plugged in), any incorrect drivers should be able to be removed that way. The original thread with my findings http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...highlight=SSAG
Interesting read through your other thread Phil even tho half of it went over my head, but I do get the Jist of it. somewhat

Sorry I cant allaberate on details, im not educated with commands/programming etc but if its a usb3 issue - would it not only be an issue if I plug into the usb3 port ? bare in mind I am not dissagreeing with your findings and solved issue technique and skills - just exercising my laymans logic which obviousely falls very short with this type stuff
This new lappy has two usb2's on one side - and one usb3 and hddmi port on the other side from what i can gather.
This machine also has two seariel buss host controllers, - so, im not sure what these actually/physically are, or have anything to do with' tho I assume they are the circuitry boards that the usb ports are soldered onto ? ? ? if so, then the two USB2's on one side should have usb2 configured & enabled ? ?
Tho, in saying that - if in the ball park, Lol. then maybe these host controllers lead to somewhere deeper in the internals in which there could lie the problem

argghhh I dont know I guess I need to know for sure which usb's are which, ironically, which' I dont know how to find out ?
Anyway, Ill look into this deeper as it sounds very promising - I do have someone (soon to be son in law) who will understand this much betterra and put it passed him

I do appreaciate your valued time and input on this Phil
Cheers
Old 14-03-2015, 11:08 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
If it's a usb3 issue you could try using a usb extension cable between the camera and the computer. I had an issue with a usb3 card reader when I first got it where it would only work with a usb3 port if I used an extension cable. The cable wasn't usb3 so when using it the computer would recognise it as usb2.

However it works fine now without the extension so it must have been fixed in an update I guess. Perhaps make sure your Windows is fully up to date too.
Cheers Hugh, I believe I had a 1m USB extension fitted as to reach - if memory serves, tho can try again to make sure the extention was the one into the lappy or I could even try the 4way usb doodad straight into it ..
The lappy did do a windows update tho that was after and not sure if was a full update, so might follow that up too

Im also wondering if I should Uninstall all the QHY, phd, starshooter progs and drivers, do a clean and restart, and just intall the starshoot driver, then phd and try that ? then install qhy progs, drivers and ascom etc
Thanx for your time and input Hugh
Old 15-03-2015, 08:19 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

My laptop, a Toshiba, came with a utility that allowed me to disable the USB 3 part of the ports - in effect making them behave like USB 2 ports. It was only after I did this that the SSAG was recognised by my applications. This was despite downloading the latest drivers from Orion and meticulosly following their directions for installation on a Win 8.0/8.1 system.

There may be a way of doing this for any computer - slower, but at least it works.
Old 15-03-2015, 11:02 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Bob, no amount of deinstalling, reinstalling even fudging the driver inf files to try and correct the identifiers would work. The problem is as stated, the hardware is recognised incorrectly by the USB3/win8.x combination. Once incorrectly recognised the drivers will not load regardless of the port version.

Once the SSAG had been plugged in to the USB 3 port (at first connect) it wouldn't identify correctly in the USB2 ports, nor could the driver be correctly installed.

If you can find the section I mentioned in the device manager and delete the incorrectly identified device it may be recognised then by the USB2 port. I haven't proven this method with the SSAG but have used the same technique with a problematic Iridium satellite phone driver which exhibited similar problems.

One other thing you could try is to plug the SSAG in to some older hardware preferably running XP or win7 and USB2 and prove that the SSAG isn't at fault.

If I get a chance tomorrow night I'll try and take some screenshots to show you where to look in the device manager.
Old 16-03-2015, 07:53 PM
acropolite (Phil)

OK some more info for you.

Just now, my SSAG, depite having been successfully loaded some time ago, was no longer visible in the device manager (my guess is made non functional due to a W8 update).

I plugged in to the only USBII port available and (as you did) I had a (very) dimly glowing red led. This was I believe due to the OS switching off power to the port as part of it's power saving routine (It's a good idea to turn off power saving for all USB ports/devices). When plugged in the SSAG showed as an Unknown Device in "Other devices", in this case showing the correctly identified VID/PID. (see screenshot 2 you may have to scroll down a bit to see the other devices area. If your VID/PID isn't reporting correctly then that's the reason the driver won't load.

If you look at my original thread, you'll see that I've listed the VID/PID that I saw on the incorrectly identified USB3 attempt.

I then reloaded the 64 bit driver and the camera was yet again visible to the OS. See screeshot 3 under USB devices to see the corrrectly installed SSAG.

ONCE THE CAMERA DRIVER IS CORRECTLY INSTALLED THE LED WILL GLOW AT PROPER BRIGHTNESS.

Attached are the screenshots, by plugging and unplugging the SSAG you should be able to find which device it is, once you do check the VID/PID, if it's not as per my earlier thread you need to remove the device in software. The first Screenshot shows how to turn on the Show Hidden Devices setting. Once the Show Hidden devices is selected you should be able to see anything that's been plugged in whether current or not, amongst those entries you may find the rogue entry with the incorrectly identified SSAG

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot.jpg)
105.0 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot 2.jpg)
106.9 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot 3.jpg)
96.6 KB14 views

Last edited by acropolite; 16-03-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 17-03-2015, 08:22 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Really appreciate all your time and advice on this Phil, I will work through it !
I have actually taken, deleted & uninstalled all astro stuff
Ill try with just phd, ascomm and starshooter tonight, Im pretty sure the USB3 port has the blue color on/in it, usb 2 with the black ?

I did actually get the qhy5L II found and activated in both phd 1 & 2 last night but then both phds crashed when start callibrating, ? ? If thats a sign -
I have another link to ssag which apparently soughted similar issue with a mate, so this may also solve issues ?, - see what happens !

Thanx again ,
definately given me heaps to go through, , I mean that in a good way, as one only learns from quality input from others as your self - chamion stuff Phil
Old 18-03-2015, 02:38 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

I seemed to have 'struck a nerve' so to speak, altered the usb power settings and now the Starshooter is GO only now, phd cant find the qhy5, Lol
I have spoken to a mate, pc literate, and says, cant change usb 3 to 2 - can turn them off, but not change

I still have other progs and drivers to re-install, so maybe something in them to kick start the qhy 5
Old 18-03-2015, 07:09 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Make sure anything you install (e.g. phd) is done by right clicking on the installation file and selecting "run as administrator". Even though your usual log in account has admin rights the run as administrator option is often necessary to correctly install any software. Also make sure you have the 64bit drivers if your OS is 64 bit.

The easiest way to find which port is the usb 2 is to simply read the manual that came with your laptop. I always note which devices are in which ports and make up a txt file so I always use the same ports.

Last edited by acropolite; 18-03-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:16 PM
jakob

I just discovered that Orion has now w8.1 & usb 2&3 driver!
Also a detailed installation guide for the starshoot auto guider.
This should cure a few headaches .
Old 28-03-2015, 12:43 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx again Phil, I do have it sorted now, I decided to un-install everything, I downloaded and installed, started with just phd and Starshooter, restart and all went well, then qhy5 drivers and ezyplanet, restart and all went well - finally qhy10 and ezycap -

Completed with full recognition and all works as should, beauty
Appreciate your input as your advice did help guide thinking

Yes also Jacob, thems the ones easier said than done for this duck