Old 26-11-2010, 02:40 AM
DarkRevenge (Luis)
Newbie with actitude

Jupiter sketches - Galilean Moons - 24/11/10

Hi all,

I've done some little observations about Jupiter's Galilean Moons. Nothing special, but just wanted to share them with you guys.

I took out the scope at about 23:30hs GMT and aimed to Jupiter. It was a clear night without any clouds, but it didn't seem to be excellent for observation because I could just see a few stars (less than usual, as I live close to the city centre).

There were two galilean moons missing so I decided to make some sketches to follow the movement of the satellites.

As can be seen there're seven sketches: 0:00hs ; 0:45hs ; 1:00hs ; 1:30hs ; 1:40hs ; 2:40hs ; 4:15hs. (GTM)

Later, I checked out Stellarium to identify each moon. The one that can be seen in the first two sketches is Ganymede. The one that can be seen in the 4th sketch is Io. In the 5th and 6th sketches can be seen Io and Europa. In the last one Ganymede reappeared from behind the planet. It took it about 3:15hs to travel from one side of the planet to the other.
Ganymede dissapeared behind the planet at about 1:00hs. Io reappeared after being eclipsed by Jupiter at 1:30hs. Europa could be seen at about 1:40hs: It should've been visible before while it was transiting the planet, but I couldn't distinguish it.

Something interesting that I've noticed is that Stellarium doesn't seem to agree with my observations. I need about 45 minutes more to be able to see something that Stellarium shows me. Someone else has this problem?

Almost 5 hours of observatoin without pauses: I spent a really great night... but not very comfortable! I need to buy a new chair lol. And I have to do something with the mosquitoes, they're killing me!

Thanks a lot for reading guys

Cheers, Luis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
145.6 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
139.7 KB41 views

Last edited by DarkRevenge; 26-11-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:29 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Nice report and sketches Luis.
Old 28-11-2010, 06:50 AM
DarkRevenge (Luis)
Newbie with actitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellxv View Post
Nice report and sketches Luis.
Thanks Michael