Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Lens's

This may sound a little
I have just bought a Sony DSLR and would like to take small things like dragon flies and things
what kind of lens's are required?
Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

I am not sure about the Sony range, but if you want to get up close and personal with these things (i.e. check out the minute detail in their eyes) then you will have to look for a dedicated macro lens. That is one that allows close focusing on a 1:1 basis. What are the Sony macro options and does the Sony accept a third party lens? If they accept third party I think the Sigma and Tamron range might be worth a look.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Thanks Andrew,I thought it might be a micro lens but didn't see any mentioned anywhere.
I have for my old film camera a very old Tamron lens, it is not a micro but it is not compatable with the new DSLR,but maybe the newer ones are.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Ron, you can also get Macro filters, which screw on to the front of your existing lens. Here's a link to a shot taken with Hoya Macro filters, they can be purchased as a set or individually. I have a couple somewhere that I used in the days of film, from memory they were quite effective.

If you're curious google for "Hoya Macro filters", or "Hoya Macro filter sets" and find the entry for shopbot to get the best price online.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Ron, you can also get Macro filters, which screw on to the front of your existing lens. Here's a link to a shot taken with Hoya Macro filters, they can be purchased as a set or individually. I have a couple somewhere that I used in the days of film, from memory they were quite effective.

If you're curious google for "Hoya Macro filters", or "Hoya Macro filter sets" and find the entry for shopbot to get the best price online.
Thanks Phil,I saw them on Ebay today and wasn't sure what they where for, as they seemed to be very cheap
Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Ron

I just had a look at the Sony lens range at Discount Digital Photographics in Brisbane and they didn’t appear to stock a dedicated macro lens.

Dirtcheap Cameras list a Sony 100mm F2.8 macro but you don’t want to know the price…$1,259

I know that Tamron make an excellent 90mm F2.8 and looking at the Dirtcheap website, its retailing at $779.

I think I once saw the Tamron selling for around $589 as a grey import?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Ron, if you check the link to some images taken with filters you'll see the results are excellent.

Most of the ebay ones are dirt cheap, personally I wouldn't buy anything other than Hoya. Hoya, who are a long established and recognised filter manufacturer, also make close up filters, theirs are quite a bit more expensive but can still be had as a set of 3 for under $100.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Thankyou Gentlemen for your feed backit gives me something to work on
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
gbeal

Ron,
I too have a new Sony, (after being a Canon and/or Nikon convert) and love it, absolutely love it. The Zeiss zoom is the main reason, but it does things just as well, or nicer.
Astro use is limited or non-existent though.
Sony do make a couple of macros from memory, they won't be cheap, but they are available. Sigma and Tamron will also fit, you just need to stipulate the Sony Alpha mount.
Gary
Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Thanks Gary, I only bought it because I have Minolta lens's, and not for Astrophography, which I swore I would not try to do again
I may go down the Hoya filter Path
Cheers
Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Don't buy one yet Ron, I think I have a screw in macro filter thingy lurking in my camera bag that you would be welcome to. I use the Canon S3IS for macro now so I don't need it.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Don't buy one yet Ron, I think I have a screw in macro filter thingy lurking in my camera bag that you would be welcome to. I use the Canon S3IS for macro now so I don't need it.
Thanks Jeanette
and Happy Birthday once again
Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Benny L (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_south View Post
I am not sure about the Sony range, but if you want to get up close and personal with these things (i.e. check out the minute detail in their eyes) then you will have to look for a dedicated macro lens. That is one that allows close focusing on a 1:1 basis. What are the Sony macro options and does the Sony accept a third party lens? If they accept third party I think the Sigma and Tamron range might be worth a look.
I have dabbled with the sigma 150mm Macro and it is exceptional! as has been said it depends on whether Sigma manufactures Sony mount lenses.. Seeing as they are retrofitted Konica/Minolta bodies it is likely that they would
Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Is this any good for what I want?
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...137#post418137
Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Hi Ron

I don’t think so – this looks like it’s for point and shoot compact cameras (those with a non-removable lens) whereas you have a DSLR with interchangeable lenses.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Ron

I don’t think so – this looks like it’s for point and shoot compact cameras (those with a non-removable lens) whereas you have a DSLR with interchangeable lenses.

Cheers

Dennis
Thanks Dennis I thought that was so ,But on the website it shows an image of a D?SLR with the filter fitted
Well back to the drawing board
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Ron

As Phil suggested, a reasonable low cost alternative might be a set of close up filters à la Hoya? They seem a tried and tested method and might be an affordable upgrade path into macro photography.

The risk with any new accessory is will you use it sufficiently to warrant its purchase, or will it only be a passing interest?

I’m not sure how much close up filters are, but if you buy 3 or 4, you might just be knocking on the door of the Tamron 90mm macro lens, which on the web is probably available for around $550-580?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Nah, the 'filters' can be had for next to nothing, I picked up a 49mm Hoya +3 at a camera swapmeet/market a couple of years back for $5. Works well.
Might be worth checking Photographic Trader magazine.

Edit: Oh and there's a ring adaptor available that allows you to screw a 50mm lens onto the front of another lens, front to front, so the rear element of the 50mm becomes the front element.
This works really well but can have limited FOV, and the subject needs to be very close to the 'front' element(where the film plane would be normally) which can make lighting difficult.
This even works well with point and shoot cams, but the FOV is even worse and the zoom needs to be used.

If you just need to do a couple of quick shots, do as I do, forget the ring and hold the front of the 50mm up to a zoom lens

Last edited by MrB; 03-03-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
astroturf (Bryan)

[quote=Dennis;418212]Hi Ron

I've just noticed this thread
This lens can be used with any filter mount 52mm-67mm, it is springloaded
I've used it with my 17-85 usm & to more effect 70-200mm f4L

Cheers
Bryan
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
space oddity

up close and personal

Extension tubes are a cheap way of converting any lens into a macro whilst retaining quality. For extreme closeups, use a wide angle lens, preferably mounted backwards with a reversing ring. Unfortunately, everything will be totally manual. Bellows are an easily adjustable form of extension rings, some of which are auto diaphragm . With higher magnification, you loose some f stops, to go with the depth of field problem inherent with close up. The Tamron 90mm f/2.5 adaptall should be reasonably cheap on ebay and gives good results. An old manual diaphragm bellows lens(no focus of its own) which should also be cheap, gives some of the sharpest results. My ancient 100mm f/4 Pentax screw mount bellows lens (which can be adapted to fit almost any camera, including Minolta/Sony) gives the absolute sharpest piccies for macro, although it is extremenly difficult to use on those insect shots - flash is almost totally mandatory due to the light falloff and need to stop right down. A little tip- old flsh guns can be made safe on DSLR cameras (to avoid frying the cirtcuit) by using an adaptor from Wein .