Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
jase (Jason)

Dutch Astrophotography - live and well...

Well kind of...the Netherlands in general seems to be one of the most cloudiest locations on earth. As the land was reclaimed from the sea it is flat, thus no mountain terrain to break cloud formation (so I'm told). I've been here for a month due to work hence have not had much chance to get online. That said, I'm still imaging remotely. Will eventually release an image I promise. Too much data collection with no result to show isn't healthy.

Anyway, I stumbled across an astrophotography exhibition today, known as "First Light" at http://www.huismarseille.nl/. I found it most interesting not because of the huge hubble prints (very cool!), but the history and early publishing of astrophotography journals. The setting was the equivalent to an astrophotography museum. If there are any IIS readers over here, it is well worth the effort to check it out - ends 30th May. Its not far from the tourist mecca of Leisdeplien so easy to find.

The last two images are local talent. No names I recognised, nor met at AIC so I'm none the wiser however I was impressed by their offerings. Visually aesthetic.

I've attached a few pics for general interest. Will be back in Oz in a few weeks I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0880_moon.jpg)
146.9 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0881_eta.jpg)
125.5 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0883_m81.jpg)
96.7 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0884_localtalent1.jpg)
131.7 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0884_localtalent2.jpg)
132.6 KB50 views
Old 02-05-2010, 11:52 PM
jase (Jason)

Oh forgot to add a little Dutch humour. Cows along the Milkyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0875_cowmilkyway.jpg)
118.5 KB39 views
Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

Gday Jase

Yep the Netherlands must be terrible for sky. We have a friend (Ilse Van Der Velden) who comes from Holland to Leyburn every so often to get good dark sky. In fact she is soming in September again with Ikifumi Makino - (A japanese friend who escapes Japanese light pollution here). She is the sister of Erwin Van Der Velden - a friend who passed away a couple of years ago (far too young) - he did amazing things back in the 90s with modified web cams etc as well as normal film astrophotography. Links to Erwins page are on the Leyburn website. He is actually credited with discovering polar ice caps on Mrecury prior to NASA announcing it.

I know from discussions with Ilse and Erwin that there is a very active astrophotography group in the Netherlands.

Mark Bolton
Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Good stuff Jase!

Couldn't help noticing on the wall that massive narrow band HST shot of the keyhole area and surroundings. Must be quite a treat to see it in that format. What are we talking about there? Panning a 4 x A0 size?

I hear there is also a lot of smoke coming from Amsterdam that might be very well contributing to the cloud cover? But of course this could only be part of local urban legends...
Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I hear there is also a lot of smoke coming from Amsterdam that might be very well contributing to the cloud cover? But of course this could only be part of local urban legends...
Maybe, but at least in parts of the city the have the right coloured lighting....red lights
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Very interesting Jase
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 PM
JD2439975 (Justin)
Cloud hater

In your last shot the centre-right image appears to be the Jellyfish nebula with an Iridium flare through it?...Different.

That narrow band shot would be spectacular up close.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 PM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Well I remember when I was living in Utrecht ( between '80 an '86) I got my first telescope. I think it was a 50mm refractor (other details cant remember but my sister still has it on display in her house....should have a look one day!)
Apart from being cloudy a lot and the smog, the Sun would not set till very late in Summer ( 10-11 pm) and freezing cold in Winter.
I do fondly remember that looking at Saturn and Jupiter was amazing. I always had thought that I saw the horse head neb through this little scope....but now, with my 10" newt, I know I was only imagining it!
I also remember that on those late sunsets through the clouds and smog I could see sunspots without the use of filters....

I wonder how many Dutch- Aussies or Oz-Dutchies are members of IIS?

Bartman
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 AM
jase (Jason)

Cheers guys!

I'd say it would be near impossible to deal with the light pollution of the major cities here. Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Utrecht all have a considerable mercury vapour glow to them. I've been back a few times over the years and its not getting any better. The population of Australia squeezed into a country the size of Tasmania - what do I expect! Narrowband would be the only justice. Then depending on which part of the country you head, you need to contend with glow from the massive arrays of hot houses farming all the tulips and other flowers!

All the smoke hey Marc? The wakky-tobacky kind. Lekker!

The exhibition was impressive. There was also a landscape image of the milkyway in infra-red. Very cool. Easily spanned five meters with insane depth and clarity. Go Spitzer!

I find it ironic that I'm in a foreign country that produced a poster of my Rho image (quick image attached below). University of Utrecht made many prints as a handout for an astronomy conference....hmmm that would explain why my website has been getting numerous hits from western Europe! Thanks Frans (if you read this!).

Alle beste
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (UtrechtUni - Rho.jpg)
118.4 KB33 views
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 AM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hi Jase

Thanks for posting this. My father was born in Amsterdam and I have a keen interest in the Netherlands. Its good to see that Astrophotography is alive there.

Many thanks Petra d.

Last edited by spacezebra; 04-05-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

The images look beautifully presented - wow!
Quite a treat.
Doug
Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Oh forgot to add a little Dutch humour. Cows along the Milkyway.
comes with legalising marijuana
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
leon

Thanks Jase, yep mate Dutch is good, I was born there, nice pics as well.

Leon
Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
Well I remember when I was living in Utrecht ( between '80 an '86) I got my first telescope. I think it was a 50mm refractor (other details cant remember but my sister still has it on display in her house....should have a look one day!)
Apart from being cloudy a lot and the smog, the Sun would not set till very late in Summer ( 10-11 pm) and freezing cold in Winter.
I do fondly remember that looking at Saturn and Jupiter was amazing. I always had thought that I saw the horse head neb through this little scope....but now, with my 10" newt, I know I was only imagining it!
I also remember that on those late sunsets through the clouds and smog I could see sunspots without the use of filters....

I wonder how many Dutch- Aussies or Oz-Dutchies are members of IIS?

Bartman
Must be me
Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Thats a good dutch surname Martin!! or is it Martijn?
Bart
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
Thats a good dutch surname Martin!! or is it Martijn?
Bart
Nope it is just simply Martin