Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 19-09-2017, 03:37 AM
Fernando

Polemaster + Atlas Pro/SW AZEQ6 GOTO

Dear all,

Last weekend, I used the Polemaster for the first time, with my Atlas Pro (= synscan ...). I am in the southern hemisphere (Brasil) and. as you certainly know, it is not straightforward or easy to find the small and dim stars close to the celestial pole. I was pleased to get a polar alignment like never before. Afterwards, however, when running synscan 2-3 stars alignment, there was a reasonable misalignment. I know these are two different procedures, I think (remotely?) comparable. Anyway, I "forgot" about synscan alignment. I took 40 60 seconds lights without any problem, unguided. Those who have accumulated experience with synscan, Atlas Pro and polemaster, what would be the best "workflow"?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando
Old 19-09-2017, 07:23 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Polemaster manual expressly says to only do a 1 star alignment after using Polemaster
Old 19-09-2017, 03:57 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I just had a quick read of the Polemaster manual and I cannot find a reference to doing a 1 star align.
I have been using the Polemaster for quite a while with Synscan, EQMOD and using plate solving with EQMOD and SGP and have had no issues with any method. The obvious question is, if your Go-Tos work OK and you are happy with the guiding results, is there a need to worry if Synscan reports a polar alignment error?
How did you check your polar alignment, did you do a drift alignment check in PHD for example. The reason I ask is I have found that to be much more reliable as a check than the Synscan method.
Cheers
Malcolm
Old 19-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Fernando

Hi there,

Thanks Lewis and Malcon!

It was the first time I used Polemaster. I was very happy to get a nice polar alignment. Although it is kind of "hard" to deal with the altitude and az bolts! I guess it is just a matter of keep practicing. And it is much easier and fast then any method I tried before!

Actually, I did not want to check. I just tried the synscan goto; it did not put the Sculptor Galaxy I was planning taking pictures centered. By now, unguided.

I download Astrotortilla and planning to plate solving with Backyard EOS.

Regards,

Fernando
Old 19-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If after using the PoleMaster your unguided subs looked good and weren't elongated (depending on focal length) then I'd say that the PoleMaster is accurate... End of story
Old 20-09-2017, 02:45 AM
Fernando

Yes, they were really good. Perfectly round stars. I am planning to keep taking the unguided light frames for longer time periods. And figure out the longest I may go with my rig, unguided.

For now, the camera is an old DSLR Canon 50D, unmodified. And the scope is a SW Esprit 120mm ED. Aperture 120 mm and FL 840 mm.

Regards, Fernando