Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2017, 06:08 PM
GC - South Aus

Thanks Everyone

G'day Everyone

Thanks for all the responses, it is going to take me a while to read through and try the suggestions.

Thanks to Lewis, for lots of tips.

Will let you all know how I go.

Cheers

Gav
Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 AM
rrussell1962

Found this on Cloudy Nights. May be of some help.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/2...oneipod/page-2

Richard
Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 PM
redbeard (Damien)

You could also simply change the IP address in the starbook, (if it lets you), to static - '192.168.0.6' for example, and reboot it and see if you can ping that IP from your iPad, assuming your iPad is on that same network/subnet. If you get a ping response, you know the network port is OK and that you have communication with the starbook.

In general the IP to use for the app is the one allocated to the starbook.
In this case, '192.168.0.6' or if you get the DHCP fixed, then whatever 192.... the router hands out.
The routers IP is generally only used as a gateway IP. Used when accessing the internet etc.

Of course this all assumes the hardware is all working as it should.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:32 PM
rrussell1962

You can't change the IP address in Starbook. Gav, I noticed that on the list of ports you tried in Sky Safari you didn't list Port 80 - that is the one that my Starbook Ten connected to Sky Safari with using the Wi Fi modem / router. In the telescope settings of Sky Safari - Scope Type Starbook or Vixen Sphinx, Mount German Eq, IP the 192.168.....number, Port 80, Auto detect OFF, Readout rate did not seem critical.

Last edited by rrussell1962; 08-09-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM
GC - South Aus

May have found the initial problem

G'day Everyone

Well thanks for the assistance so far.

I tried, then I tried again that in the end I had to try so hard to not throw the thing through the window.

But, late last night I started to formulate an opinion that it may actually be the router which is the issue. So I did a little research and found an interesting comment in the manual (which you can only get online) that the DHCP function needs any device (i.e. computer) attached to accept IP from the router.

It says:

Note:
To use the DHCP server function of the Router, you must configure all computers on the LAN as "Obtain an IP Address automatically".

So I started to think maybe the StarBook can't do this, or perhaps it is just too difficult to setup the DHCP for this router.

I thought maybe I could grab an old NetGear router from an old junk box in the garage to test to see if with this connected it will perhaps change the IP on the StarBook.

So I just connected it up turned it on and within 2 seconds the IP on the StarBook changed to that of the NetGear router but serial '2' at the end of the address instead of '1'.

Looks like it is some kind of issue in setting up the Nano Router with the StarBook, which is weird because I have read about other people using it ok with StarBook.

I got home late tonight so haven't had the time to go any further, will try and set everything up with the iPad tomorrow to test.

But, (touch wood) so far it is looking good!

Thanks again

Gav
Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 PM
GC - South Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
You can't change the IP address in Starbook. Gav, I noticed that on the list of ports you tried in Sky Safari you didn't list Port 80 - that is the one that my Starbook Ten connected to Sky Safari with using the Wi Fi modem / router. In the telescope settings of Sky Safari - Scope Type Starbook or Vixen Sphinx, Mount German Eq, IP the 192.168.....number, Port 80, Auto detect OFF, Readout rate did not seem critical.
G'day Russell

Thanks mate the Port 80 was the first I tried, but it will be the first I try again with the new router tomorrow.

Cheers

Gav
Old 08-09-2017, 07:39 PM
rrussell1962

Yes, it's very odd Gav. My TP Link worked first time with Starbook Ten - Lewis kindly posted my description of how I did it earlier in the thread.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:53 PM
GC - South Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
Yes, it's very odd Gav. My TP Link worked first time with Starbook Ten - Lewis kindly posted my description of how I did it earlier in the thread.
Yeah I had read your thread some days ago, before I had even posted a request for help. Because I was at wits end with it!

I have tried the auto factory default settings, reset it many times, even tried changing IP addresses and adding the StarBook IP address to the router. All without any luck whatsoever.

With the NetGear I didn't even have to do an alignment, it recognised it straight away on the very first menu when you turn it on.

I will continue trying to figure out the Nano router though, as the NetGear is quite large in comparison.

Cheers

Gav
Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Not sure if you have seen this:

http://skysafariastronomy.com/produc...elessSetup.pdf

and it is also specified by Sysafari that : "You also need to configure SkySafari to communicate with the StarBook controller at 169.254.1.1 on port 80." AND the router.

If the router I gave is not configured in the Vixen range, it won't work.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:37 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Gawd, one other VITAL thing I now remember after setting up my SXP this way is that in Skysafari, you MUST CONNECT as follows:

Telescope
Setup: Vixen Sphinx

NOT Vixen Starbook!!! Even mine if you select Vixen Starboook gives the cannot connect error.

Also, I simply entered the IP given by the STARBOOK into the Skysafari, and assigned Port 80.

If you reconfig the router to the Starbook 169.254.x.x range, and then enter that into Skysafari, then it should work.

As Richard said, you need to have it in WISP mode (Wireless Internet Service Provider) AND DHCP, AND NOT assigned to your home internet/mobile internet etc (just do NOT do that step in the setup at all!!!)
Old 09-09-2017, 09:44 AM
GC - South Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Not sure if you have seen this:

http://skysafariastronomy.com/produc...elessSetup.pdf

and it is also specified by Sysafari that : "You also need to configure SkySafari to communicate with the StarBook controller at 169.254.1.1 on port 80." AND the router.

If the router I gave is not configured in the Vixen range, it won't work.
G'day Lewis

Yeah I have attempted to reconfigure the router. I think it is purely an operator error (maybe )! Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the control menu of the TP-Link Nano Router very intuitive.

The good news though, I have it working first time on the NetGear router as of this morning. Just put the new IP address listed on the StarBook (192.168.0.2) port 80, and it connected first time. Albeit the NetGear router is a lot bigger than the Nano Router, I think I will keep playing with the Nano until I can figure out the correct settings. Strange because I didn't have to do anything with the NetGear, simply plug in and play!

I showed it to my little lad this morning with the iPad using SkySafari, and he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Thanks again to everyone for their help, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Gav

Last edited by GC - South Aus; 09-09-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:45 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Just to make it clear, once you have configured that router purely as a DHCP/WISP - NOT connecting to internet etc, just configured as a provider, disconnect the router from the computer. Connect via straight through cable to the Starbook, read the Starbook LAN. Copy that LAN into Skysafari settings (as a VIXEN SPHINX), and port 80.

You need to wait for the router to FULLY boot, and then turn on Starbook, and THEN wait up to a minute as it refreshes it's LAN. THEN copy that to SkySafari.

Now don't ask Stellarium....as I DO NOT USE IT
Old 09-09-2017, 09:47 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

LOL. Yeah, Richard provided me with a TP-Link mini with the built in battery when I bought his SXP, and it took 4 minutes to config it all lol.

Glad it's up and going. You had me worried.

Yes, the common failure mode usually lies somewhere between the chair and the equipment
Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 AM
GC - South Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Just to make it clear, once you have configured that router purely as a DHCP/WISP - NOT connecting to internet etc, just configured as a provider, disconnect the router from the computer. Connect via straight through cable to the Starbook, read the Starbook LAN. Copy that LAN into Skysafari settings (as a VIXEN SPHINX), and port 80.

You need to wait for the router to FULLY boot, and then turn on Starbook, and THEN wait up to a minute as it refreshes it's LAN. THEN copy that to SkySafari.

Now don't ask Stellarium....as I DO NOT USE IT
It's weird because I just had another go with the Nano reset (again) to default factory settings, turned it on and waited.

Then plugged it into StarBook, and for the first time ever the IP changed on the StarBook. But, it was 0.0.0.0. I got out of that part of the menu and went back in later and it had returned to the StarBook default 169.254.1.1.

I have never had the router connected to my computer or home ISP router network, only the StarBook through the LAN port with all settings being changed through the iPad. I can't find anything about WISP/WSP in the menu for the router and it is setup for DHCP by default.

Anyways I now consider the matter closed, I have managed to get some kind of connection with the NetGear Router (so much simpler!). But, will continue to plod on with the Nano in my own time.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards

Gav
Old 09-09-2017, 10:19 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC - South Aus View Post
It's weird because I just had another go with the Nano reset (again) to default factory settings, turned it on and waited.

Then plugged it into StarBook, and for the first time ever the IP changed on the StarBook. But, it was 0.0.0.0. I got out of that part of the menu and went back in later and it had returned to the StarBook default 169.254.1.1.

I have never had the router connected to my computer or home ISP router network, only the StarBook through the LAN port with all settings being changed through the iPad. I can't find anything about WISP/WSP in the menu for the router and it is setup for DHCP by default.

Anyways I now consider the matter closed, I have managed to get some kind of connection with the NetGear Router (so much simpler!). But, will continue to plod on with the Nano in my own time.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards

Gav

OK, if the Starbook NULLS (0.0.0.0) and then gives the 169.254... THAT is the LAN IP you give to Skysafari (manually enter it) and Port 80. Then all should work on that nano.

The 0.0.0.0 means it is refreshing.