Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-10-2015, 10:38 PM
tempestwizz (Brian)

Possible Obs built on house: Comments please

I have left the variable climes of Canberra for a place where it's always warm, namely Laos. As part of this venture I'm constructing a rather large concrete and brick house. (The local termites will devour anything less in an instant!)
I had been planning to find a space in the backyard for a stand alone observatory, which is still a possibility: but it has a few downsides. Directly to my south in the neighbour's yard are two large coconut trees that are only going to get taller and crib my limited views. My own house looms fairly high to the south-west. There are neighbouring buildings with lots of security lights to the east, and some more growing trees to the north-west. And, I haven't mentioned the mosquitoes and other beasties at or near ground level who insist in joining in on an evenings viewing.
The other possibility may be to build a viewing platform at the rooftop level of my second floor. It could sit on top of one of the foundational columns buried deep in the ground, even though the obs would be about t8 metres above ground level.
My vista would open up completely. Thermals from the house should be minimal, as it's always warm. Vibration may be an issue, but as the house is of concrete and brick on a floating pier arrangement, I'm not sure vibration would be an issue.
However, I do own a PMX and would like to to some picture taking. Then again I've been here 5 months already, and there have only been a handful of viewable nights, maybe this will improve in the cooler months. Possibly I will be relegated to purely visual observing, and only photo objects where I can use sub_second exposures.
I'm thinking, build the rooftop obs. If it's not usable I can just sit out at nights and contemplate. A ground level obs can come later if the viewing is deemed feasible for astrophotography.
My question is basically does the assembled brains trust consider possible thermals and vibration issues such a problem as to not consider the idea?

Brian
Old 30-10-2015, 11:47 PM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Brian,

I think it is going to be, jump in the deep end and see what happens.

There are those who have never done it, will tell you all about thermal and vibration problems.
There are those who may have paid someone $5000 to build an Obs in their attic will say its a non-issue.

Here is a photo of a commercial product from Pier-tec for an attic obs.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pier_tec_7x7_Tele-Station_3 Roof.jpg)
156.4 KB103 views