Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 AM
bluescope
I've got a Sirius eye !

Self Guiding Problem

I have just acquired a ST2000XCM as some of you may know. The problem I am having is that when I have the guiding cable attached to my EQ6 Pro mount the hand controller ceases to function, in fact it freezes until I unplug the cable again.

Is this normal ? ( I doubt it )

Any tips would be helpful !

Old 09-11-2007, 02:47 AM
jase (Jason)

Sounds strange. I don't have much knowledge of the relay inputs for the EQ6. You may need a relay box;
www.sbig.com/pdffiles/relay_box_instructions.pdf
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 AM
gbeal

Can't help with the hand controller, mine (AP400GTO) doesn't though.
Even if it does, can you move the scope via the "Move" or slew commands in whatever program you are using to control the camera (what are you using). If you can perhaps just try that. Maybe post on the SBIG group as well.
Gary
Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Steve

Is the cable wired correctly for the hand controller? Each different manufacturer’s hand controller seems to require a custom wiring configuration for it to operate correctly with the SBIG camera.

If the ħRA, Ground and ħDEC signals are going to the wrong pins you could get the behaviour you describe?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I could be way out in left field here as I haven' tried self guiding yet with my ST 7, but don't you run your guiding from the camera to your laptop via the USB and then back to the mount via serial? Rather than directly from the camera to the mount via the mount port on the camera. I know some mounts you can run direct from the RS232 port of the camera to the RJ12 port of the mount but I didn't think the EQ6 was one of them. I thought the guide chips signals normally come down the USB cable along with the imaging chip signals. That way it should be USB>laptop>serial cable to mount.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
I could be way out in left field here as I haven' tried self guiding yet with my ST 7, but don't you run your guiding from the camera to your laptop via the USB and then back to the mount via serial?
No - normally you would connect the camera's guider port directly to the telescope mount's guider port. But it does probably depend on the type of mount.

I'm always confused by what's ST4 compatible and what's not. My first thought was similar to that of jase - you might need a relay box. I'm quite sure that if I put my ST7 on to my Losmandy GM-8, I would need a relay box.

Roger.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Quote:
normally you would connect the camera's guider port directly to the telescope mount's guider port.
This is something I don't understand Roger. If you connect the camera guideport directly to the telescope guide port how do you get feedback to your laptop that autoguiding is actually working?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
This is something I don't understand Roger. If you connect the camera guideport directly to the telescope guide port how do you get feedback to your laptop that autoguiding is actually working?
Hi Paul
  • My (older parallel) ST7E has a 25 way parallel cable that connects to the PC.
  • The auto guider cable connects directly from the ST7E to my Tak mount, or GDPX mount.
  • The ST7 communicates with the PC via the parallel cable, so that is how the PC connection is achieved for CCDSoft.
  • In your case, it would be via the more modern (green with envy) USB.
Cheers

Dennis
Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Yeah, what Dennis said Especially the green with envy bit

darn 10 second image download times....
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Quote:
On my Q-Guider, the guide cable comes from the ST-4 outlet on the rear of the guider, direct to the Autoguider Port on the Gemini, a USB2 cable provides the power and connection to the Laptop, the autoguiding software (PHD) is supplied by that cable.

Cheers
Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ahhhhhh...I see now. Thanks guys. You can read the manual from front to cover and think you understand it, but it's not until you come on here that you really get the help you need. Well fingers crossed for a fine night tonight and I'll get out and give it a go.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 AM
gbeal

Stay left field. Camera direct to the mount, with the supplied cable.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ahh but what if you want to connect it to a StarMate Gary I'll need a 232 adapter to go on the end of the SBIG cable then. Or should I just plug straight into a Shoestring adapter and then into the Digital drive handcontroller port?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 AM
gbeal

Cripes, not sure, but whatever the answer is, the question is too hard. When I use the SBIG, I don't use the StarMate. I only use this when I am using the 20D, which is very rarely. BUT......... I think Robber was going to use his via the Mate, so maybe ask him.
Honestly though, the simplest method is to have the SBIG on the imaging scope, and use the built in guide chip as well. That way you have only one scope and camera on the mount, plus only a power cable, a USB cable (sorry Dennis and Roger), plus the RJ11 cable running from the camera.
Self guide works as good or better that I ever had with the ToUcam and Mate.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Well fingers crossed for a clear sky tonight and I'll give it a go.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 PM
bluescope
I've got a Sirius eye !

It seems like I have stirred up a bit of a wasps nest with this question.

It says in the manual that the cable should be from the camera to the autoguide socket on the mount. As far as I can recollect the manual for the EQ6 says that it is ST4 compatible, which should be fine.

Thanks for all the replies to this thread, I'll check out suggestions etc tonight. As you can imagine it is driving me nuts because I really need to extend my exposure times to get better results.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Steve:

It is possible isolate the problem more. It is possible to use a multi-metre to check if the guider signals are coming out of the camera correctly. That then tells you if it's the camera at fault or the mount at fault.

However I suspect it's more likely the mount is at fault than the camera. Are there firmare updates for the mount at all? or any reported issues with the autoguider port I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
a USB cable (sorry Dennis and Roger)
Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM
jase (Jason)

"Note, the HEQ5 and EQ6 Synscan mounts are plug and play ready for autoguiding with SBIG imaging cameras and autoguiders using the standard cable supplied with the SBIG product." - http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/s...14&class2=1406

So it sounds like a technical issue compared to an incompatibility. I believe the EQ6 uses the LX200 command set.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
bluescope
I've got a Sirius eye !

Hi Roger

I am using the latest v3.12 firmware for the mount and don't know of any auto guiding issues.

cheers

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Steve:

It is possible isolate the problem more. It is possible to use a multi-metre to check if the guider signals are coming out of the camera correctly. That then tells you if it's the camera at fault or the mount at fault.

However I suspect it's more likely the mount is at fault than the camera. Are there firmare updates for the mount at all? or any reported issues with the autoguider port I wonder?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 PM
bluescope
I've got a Sirius eye !

I think you are right Jase, I'm currently looking for my EQ6 manual to check things further but I seem to remember that it does use the LX200 command set and that it is compatible with SBIG cameras as you say.
Maybe I am setting things up incorrectly, I'll keep at it and report when I have success or complete failure.

Thanks

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
"Note, the HEQ5 and EQ6 Synscan mounts are plug and play ready for autoguiding with SBIG imaging cameras and autoguiders using the standard cable supplied with the SBIG product." - http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/s...14&class2=1406

So it sounds like a technical issue compared to an incompatibility. I believe the EQ6 uses the LX200 command set.