Old 16-12-2012, 01:31 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Comet Wirtanen meteors report

I am interested to find out what others saw of this new expected Meteor shower.For my part we saw at least a dozen of the so called "Piscid" meteors emanating from the circlet of Pisces.
This was on Friday night from the time Pisces became visible until about 11pm, so about 4 hours. We were doing more drinking than counting accurately, after all it was our Club Xmas party
It was however a stream of meteors clearly coming out of Pisces.
What did you see ?
Old 16-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Ian,
Yes my daughter & I saw them.
Fortunately I knew about them before we started to observe the Geminids. We were laying down on the ground but my head was going in all different direction from both showers and I had to end up giving this one away. I didn't know it finished at 11 tho or that it was coming from Pisces, so that actually makes sense why I eventually gave up looking that way, cause there was nothing happening!
From between 10pm to 11pm I saw 5.
They were very short and very quick. I didn't see any long tails. It was very easy to see the difference between the two showers.
Old 17-12-2012, 08:16 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Hi Suzy
Great to see you got to observe some of the New Piscids !
I found them to be the same as you saw, bright & short .
It was amazing to see 3 Meteor showers at once. The Geminids, Hydrids & The new kid on the block "The Piscids"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Hi Ian,
Yes my daughter & I saw them.
Fortunately I knew about them before we started to observe the Geminids. We were laying down on the ground but my head was going in all different direction from both showers and I had to end up giving this one away. I didn't know it finished at 11 tho or that it was coming from Pisces, so that actually makes sense why I eventually gave up looking that way, cause there was nothing happening!
From between 10pm to 11pm I saw 5.
They were very short and very quick. I didn't see any long tails. It was very easy to see the difference between the two showers.