Old 24-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Kunama

Nikon Df thoughts ...........

Any owners of the Nikon Df on IIS ???? Penny for your thoughts.....
Old 24-07-2014, 03:16 PM
killswitch (Edison)

I've tried it and didnt really like it. Less practical than modern designs. Aperture wheel will drive you mad.
Old 24-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
I've tried it and didnt really like it. Less practical than modern designs. Aperture wheel will drive you mad.
Thanks, I must say I love the look of the Df but have not handled it yet.
Pricing is in the D800 range and have also considered this as an option.

It would not be for astro, only travel, landscape & people pics with AF-S 80-200 F2.8 and AF-S 16-35 F4 VR lenses.
Old 24-07-2014, 04:56 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Seems there re more retro-style DSLR' than just the Nikon Df - I recall Olympus and Sony have a retro style now?
Old 24-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Kunama

Lewis, I thought about switching to the Olympus OM-D system but just can't imagine parting with my AF-S Nikkor 80-200, it is such a nice sharp lens. I also have access to some big Nikkor glass so will stick with the F-mounts.
Old 24-07-2014, 05:06 PM
gregbradley

Fuji XT1 does retro properly. Fuji glass is probably better than Nikon glass or at least as good as for less.

Something to consider. DF is full frame but apart from that there is not much advantage.

Sony A7s has slightly better low light performance than the DF.

To me the attraction of the DF would be the D4 sensor with its superb low light performance.

Greg.
Old 24-07-2014, 05:24 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

My brother has a Df, but then he does have a collection of Nikon lenses and doesn't see the Df as leading to self abuse.
Old 24-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Fuji XT1 does retro properly. Fuji glass is probably better than Nikon glass or at least as good as for less.

Something to consider. DF is full frame but apart from that there is not much advantage.

Sony A7s has slightly better low light performance than the DF.

To me the attraction of the DF would be the D4 sensor with its superb low light performance.

Greg.
It's the full frame with D4 sensor that got me interested initially and after owning the FM2, F3, F3HP, FE2, FA etc I just love the style of the Df.
I have no interest in video modes, 1/8000 speeds etc.
Old 24-07-2014, 10:17 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

For travel and landscape I would have thought the 800 was a far better option? Depends on whether you will be printing images in large format, or just viewing on screen.
The 800 seems to do pretty well in the dark, too.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 25-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
For travel and landscape I would have thought the 800 was a far better option? Depends on whether you will be printing images in large format, or just viewing on screen.
The 800 seems to do pretty well in the dark, too.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Thanks Andrew, the images would not ever end up bigger than A4. There seem to be quite a few people selling off their D800s so some bargains to be had. At the moment I am using a D200 and a D7000.

Seems there have been some issues with the D800s with focusing etc, will do a little more reading before buying.
Old 25-07-2014, 09:01 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I haven't had any problems with the AF, but I am fed up with having to get the sensor cleaned every 6 months.
If you're not going to make large prints then the 610 or the Df are probably a better bet.
For AP - I've noticed that the Nikon seems to have slightly better response to h-alpha than canon - but I don't know if there is any real difference in the IR filter pass band.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 25-07-2014, 10:00 AM
killswitch (Edison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Seems there have been some issues with the D800s with focusing etc, will do a little more reading before buying.
If your talking about the left focusing issue, that was solved a long time ago.

D600 still has dirty sensors from the shutter. Go straight for the D610.

If your thinking about the Df, i suggest testing it out for half a day before buying.
Old 25-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Kunama

Quote:

If your thinking about the Df, i suggest testing it out for half a day before buying.
Thanks Ed, I'll have a look at the Df tomorrow. The sub-command dial doesn't bother me, most of my lenses have aperture rings.
Old 27-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Lewis, I thought about switching to the Olympus OM-D system but just can't imagine parting with my AF-S Nikkor 80-200, it is such a nice sharp lens. I also have access to some big Nikkor glass so will stick with the F-mounts.
That's an almost comical post. I actually get sad when I compare my 80-200 to my girlfriend's Olympus 50-200. THAT is a sharp lens. I actually think Olympus make far better lenses than Nikon or Canon, but not better cameras.
Old 27-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbz View Post
That's an almost comical post. I actually get sad when I compare my 80-200 to my girlfriend's Olympus 50-200. THAT is a sharp lens. I actually think Olympus make far better lenses than Nikon or Canon, but not better cameras.
I don't know which version you have or how it performs, but having used Zuiko lenses for 20 years I find that this Nikkor is on par with the Zuiko zooms I have owned.
Having compared it also to my 105 Micro-Nikkor I see no difference in sharpness. I also found its CA control is fantastic.
Old 27-07-2014, 11:27 AM
gregbradley

Quote:

Mirrorless mainly use CDAF focusing (contrast detection - slower but more accurate) and now PDAF (dedicated focusing pixels on the sensor). This whilst it is being refined, tends to be slower than the more complex DSLR separate AF sensors but also tends to be more accurate. There is no alignment of a separate AF sensor, need to fine tune focus for various lenses that shifts with different coloured lights or for zooms - different focal lengths.

So to some degree any DSLR is going to have this as a potential AF problem. The latest Sony A6000 shows that mirrorless on sensor PDAF pixelled AF is going to be the way of the future. It is easier to make and because the focus pixel is on the sensor you get rid of that potentially troublesome callibration of a separate AF sensor.

+1 for mirrorless there. Another year or so and DSLRs will be passed on this point of AF speed and accuracy. Although more likely the same technology will be implemented in DSLRs as it is already in a few models.

Greg.
Old 27-07-2014, 02:20 PM
LightningNZ (Cam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbz View Post
One thing to remember is that Olympus cameras are mostly 3/4" format so the lenses don't have to be optimised for as wide a linear field as the APS-c or full-frame lenses. Not that know what size chip is in your girlfriend's camera of course...
-Cam
Old 29-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningNZ View Post
One thing to remember is that Olympus cameras are mostly 3/4" format so the lenses don't have to be optimised for as wide a linear field as the APS-c or full-frame lenses. Not that know what size chip is in your girlfriend's camera of course...
-Cam
That is most certainly true but it ignores a long history of quality from Olympus. The current crop of lenses are excellent but looking back check out beasts like the Zuiko Auto-T 250mm f/2.0, a truly phenomenal lens. Unfortunately back then they weren't very price competitive and this lens still fetches $3k+ second hand despite not working properly with any current Olympus system.

But it's not just the lens quality, it's the thought that goes into it as well. My Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 has just a smidge under 270deg of rotation on the focuser to go from inf to 1:1 which makes focusing anything but impossible for macro objects. Same with my 200mm f/2.8 which I had on my scope a few nights ago PAINFULLY trying to turn the focus ring about a degree to move the glass ever so slightly into focus.

Olympus basically invented focus-by-wire. Nikon, Canon etc have adopted it for all their micro cameras. The Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro has just over 1000 degrees of rotation on the focuser and because it's focus by wire there's no stiction to deal with.

Anyway I think I've made my point. I'm a Nikon man through and through, but liking a Nikon lens is in my opinion not a very good reason not to switch to Olympus. Having access to good Nikon lenses already is, after all money talks
Old 10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Kunama

Thanks for all the opinions on this thread

Just to close off the thread:

I ended up buying a Nikon D3 in mint (as in absolutely like new/never ever used condition for half the price of the Df). It came with everything in as bought condition and an original receipt showing a purchase price of $7150 !!!