Old 25-11-2017, 06:51 AM
garymck (Gary)

List of narrow band targets?

Hi,
now that I finally have a setup that I'm happy with I'd like to start some serious narrow band imaging from my home in Geelong. Does anybody know of, or have a list of narrow band targets?

I did find this article:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...he-deep-south/

cheers
Gary
Old 25-11-2017, 07:15 AM
glend (Glen)

There are a lot of them, and coverage of them is obviously linked to rise and set times. For example, Eta Carinae is currently rising high enough to image around 3am, which only gives you a limited amount of time until astro dawn begins around 4am. So pick your targets based on your preferred imaging time. I would suggest using your planetarium software to browse what is available above 40 degrees in the east, as this is high enough to minimise atmospherics, and there will be plenty of time to image as they rise and transit.
Also, start with the brighter ones, you get a good return on your narrowband investment, and it allows you to work out your sub exposures. Faint objects, like say the Vela SNR, can require more sub numbers or total data time duration. Have fun, i find narrowband very rewarding, preferring it now to LRGB.

Last edited by glend; 25-11-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 25-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

You could always look at the websites of some experienced IIS members to see what they have imaged in NB.
Eg: If you search up Fred Van Der Haven, Paul Haese, Mike Sidonio, Greg Bradley there are many fine examples of NB imaging.
Feel free to browse my own sites linked in my signature below.
The Astrobin site is a very useful reference.
Cheers!
Old 25-11-2017, 07:19 AM
garymck (Gary)

Thanks Glend,

I'd like to compile a proper list with appropriate times of the year to image them. This would make planning a lot easier so that I was not simply having a look at "what's up tonight" :-)

cheers
Gary
Old 25-11-2017, 07:32 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Thanks Glend,

I'd like to compile a proper list with appropriate times of the year to image them. This would make planning a lot easier so that I was not simply having a look at "what's up tonight" :-)

cheers
Gary
Look at the back of the Australia Astronomy guide 2017, page 140-141. That gives you a good list of DSOs set out by the month and time that they reach height at 10pm. I used to go through that list with a coloured marker and highlight all the nebulas.
Old 25-11-2017, 08:15 AM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Look at the back of the Australia Astronomy guide 2017, page 140-141. That gives you a good list of DSOs set out by the month and time that they reach height at 10pm. I used to go through that list with a coloured marker and highlight all the nebulas.
Thanks Andy01, will do...

Glend
Excellent suggestion - I forgot I had a copy of that!
cheers
Gary