Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

protecting software investments

Recent talk about crashing HDD's had me worried plus my first Qosmio went bust and I lost all my software, so now I have bought a 3TB hard drive to copy everything on to.
I have a windows 8 Qosmio and the question is...

What's the protocol for copying all my hard earned software to HD ? i.e the Sky X to the disc?
Do I just drag copies into the disc of each drive C/D etc? (program files/ x86 program files)
I am not overly fussed by keeping all my picture files ( I have copies elsewhere) but the software is important to me.
tips?
cheers
Graham
Old 11-04-2014, 03:56 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham.hobart View Post
Recent talk about crashing HDD's had me worried plus my first Qosmio went bust and I lost all my software, so now I have bought a 3TB hard drive to copy everything on to.
I have a windows 8 Qosmio and the question is...

What's the protocol for copying all my hard earned software to HD ? i.e the Sky X to the disc?
Do I just drag copies into the disc of each drive C/D etc? (program files/ x86 program files)
I am not overly fussed by keeping all my picture files ( I have copies elsewhere) but the software is important to me.
tips?
Graham, you need to keep the installers and serial numbers. The program folders aren't much use to you as stuff gets put in other places. You need the registry entries too and you can't easily back those up.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:59 PM
acropolite (Phil)

What Andrew said!!!!.... There's no substitute for having original install files/disks/serials.

Use windows backup or something like Acronis true image to backup a snapshot of your current HDD. That backup will be only of use if restored to the same hardware, if your PC has a terminal illness then
Quote:
you need to keep the installers and serial numbers
The Seagate Black Armour NAS comes with backup software (Rebadged Acronis) so it's a nice option.