Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-06-2020, 10:50 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Pillars of Creation Alphabet

I’ve long long been trying to nicely combine Ha, OIII from my 130mm F/5 refractor and the OSC data from my Mewlon 250. I feel I’ve finally managed to get there

Ha - 13x400s
OIII - 13x400s
OSC - 54-120s
4.7 hours from the backyard

High resolution for those pixel peepers

Also managed to figure out a way of using PixelMath for moving back and forth between linear and non-linear without having any effect on the underlying data. Mostly wanted to use StarNet for removing the stars and it doesn’t work on linear data so being able to go non-linear, star removal, linear and then deconvolution helps.

Finding within this region that adding Ha adds a bit of detail but the OIII helps dramatically with the OIII popping from the strong Ha emission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EB3A45A4-A03C-4A23-8FF9-8A1C948D4E73.jpg)
197.1 KB151 views
Old 27-06-2020, 12:43 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Beautiful Colin, pleasing to the eye, and great resolution.
Old 27-06-2020, 01:12 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Well...looks mighty fine on my phone Col great colour too and your stella combining looks the best Ive seen you do Looking forward to having a closer look at a bigger version on a proper screen

Mike
Old 27-06-2020, 08:18 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

A lovely natural looking M16, Colin, well done!

I'm planning on trying to do a more natural palette with my M16 data too, but I've never been very successful with that. One thing I did notice was that using the Elliptical Galaxy reference in PCC really made the O3 pop on my RGB data.
Old 27-06-2020, 01:06 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Agree with all of the above! Very nicely done Colin!

It's also very nice to see someone else doing some "natural" palette work and making a good job of it! Using Ha and OIII to augment the RGB colours is the way to go for an object like this.

My only minor critique (and I mean minor) is that your bright star profiles look a little "blocky" (harder edges) - as opposed to a more Gaussian shape (softer edges). Doesn't detract from the image though - I just notice these things.
Old 27-06-2020, 01:30 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Very nice Colin
Old 27-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Beautiful Colin, pleasing to the eye, and great resolution.
Thanks Joshua, using your adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Well...looks mighty fine on my phone Col great colour too and your stella combining looks the best Ive seen you do Looking forward to having a closer look at a bigger version on a proper screen

Mike
Thanks Mike, I’ve given PixelMath a lot of thought before combining this one and pretty happy with how it’s turned out. Gives me hope for future Ha OIII RGB combinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
A lovely natural looking M16, Colin, well done!

I'm planning on trying to do a more natural palette with my M16 data too, but I've never been very successful with that. One thing I did notice was that using the Elliptical Galaxy reference in PCC really made the O3 pop on my RGB data.
I’m looking forward to seeing your eventual rendition Can be interesting to see how a different combination method turns out
I’ve never been really impressed with PCC myself but I’d interested in what you can do with your excellent data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Agree with all of the above! Very nicely done Colin!

It's also very nice to see someone else doing some "natural" palette work and making a good job of it! Using Ha and OIII to augment the RGB colours is the way to go for an object like this.

My only minor critique (and I mean minor) is that your bright star profiles look a little "blocky" (harder edges) - as opposed to a more Gaussian shape (softer edges). Doesn't detract from the image though - I just notice these things.
Thanks Marc I also really like seeing some of these narrowband regions in closer to accurate colour.

I hadn’t noticed that so good pick up I’m pretty sure that’s from using the Ha and OIII to reduce the star size a little to help make the nebulosity pop a little more. Dimmer stars remain round but the brighter ones with their 6 diffraction spikes go blocker. Reasonably easy fix but as you say, it’s quite minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Very nice Colin
Thanks Nik
Old 27-06-2020, 07:34 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Thanks Mike, I’ve given PixelMath a lot of thought before combining this one and pretty happy with how it’s turned out. Gives me hope for future Ha OIII RGB combinations
Yep, still looks good on a good monitor Col, nice work and I agree with Marcus, good to see a natural colour version of this object, that manages to utilise the higher res/contrast that NB filters provide.

Mike
Old 27-06-2020, 10:52 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Humm... First impressions were noise and not great seeing which gave some bloated stars (which I'll add are superbly round)

A solid rendition just the same
Old 28-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

No issue with the natural colours, looks good
I thought it would be sharper though?
Old 28-06-2020, 10:39 AM
topheart

Nice one Colin!
Cheers,
Tim
Old 29-06-2020, 08:23 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Very pleasing pillars, particularly with such modest integration
Old 01-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
No issue with the natural colours, looks good
I thought it would be sharper though?
I'm liking moving away from SHO a bit, RGB is good fun :thumbs:
I'm thinking that some of this is to do with OSC from bortle 7 skies with F/10, doesn't get the same SNR as mono or a faster instrument.

The Ha has a native stack around 1.8 pixels but that equates to 2.35" after drizzle and resizing down to the 0.4"/pixel from the Mewlon. The RGB stack has a FWHM around 1.9" but as I was hoping for a little more resolution. I'm thinking some of it is a lack of contrast from the rest of the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Nice one Colin!
Cheers,
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Very pleasing pillars, particularly with such modest integration
Thanks Tim and Suavi
Old 02-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Very sharp image Colin.

Trish and I seem to be in the minority in much preferring the HSO palette, but this is a fine rendition.

I think you're saying you remove the stars, deconvolve the starless image, and then put the stars back. Two questions:

(1) Why not deconvolve with the stars in? Is it to avoid panda-eyes around the stars? We certainly do wavelet sharpening on the starless image, for that very reason, but with deconvolution we use an anti-panda algorithm.

(2) What do you use for a point spread function if you are deconvolving the starless image? Do you load the PSF from the with-stars version, or do you use a synthetic PSF?

Best,
Mike
Old 05-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Very sharp image Colin.

Trish and I seem to be in the minority in much preferring the HSO palette, but this is a fine rendition.

I think you're saying you remove the stars, deconvolve the starless image, and then put the stars back. Two questions:

(1) Why not deconvolve with the stars in? Is it to avoid panda-eyes around the stars? We certainly do wavelet sharpening on the starless image, for that very reason, but with deconvolution we use an anti-panda algorithm.

(2) What do you use for a point spread function if you are deconvolving the starless image? Do you load the PSF from the with-stars version, or do you use a synthetic PSF?

Best,
Mike
I have in the past done a SHO of this region and I do love the contrast that narrowband provides but I do also like the star clusters that only show nicely in RGB.

1) It's definitely to avoid panda eyes I've found that what goes into protecting panda eyes is what causes the deconvolution worms so if you don't do ANY protection you don't get worms. I routinely use 50 passes of deconvolution and don't ever have to worry about worms because I'm not protecting any part of the image.

2) I model the PSF before I do star removal. Modelling the PSF is usually one of the first processes I do anyway so it's a non issue