Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 16-06-2020, 10:35 PM
brianholbrook (Bri)

Finally an alternative to Windows!!!!

Hi all, after taking a small hiatus from Astrophotography I am looking to get back in and do some wide field DSLR imaging, star trails etc. I have been looking for an alternative to APT that I can use natively on the Mac but could only find DSLR controllers that limited you to 30 second exposures. After a bit of searching I have finally found one!!!!! No doubt i'm not the first though lol

AstroDSLR is a great DSLR camera controller for those of you out there who use Mac and don’t want to run a VM or Bootcamp limiting my MacBook Pro in order to run Windows and the other "standard" apps. The people that created it also have created a bunch of other apps native to Mac for guiding, CCD/CMOS control and the INDIGO protocol it uses could be a very viable alternative to ASCOM.

Haven’t fully used it in anger yet but all of the tests that I have done at home seems to indicate that it will work a treat!! It was up and running within 5 mins of downloading the app and connecting my Nikon D7500 via USB, The software should be good to use in any other tethered situation you may need as well.

Have a look at the website if you want more info (www.cloudmakers.eu).

Soooooooo looking forward to having a machine in the field that I can be confident isn't going to blue screen and screw up my imaging!