Old 29-01-2008, 05:42 PM
darrinph

New Hobbie New Telescope and No Idea

Hi all,

My name is Darrin and I live in Ferny Hills, 20 minutes north of Brissie. I have just bought a new 90mm Sky Watcher Refractor from York Optical and can't wait to use it (properly).

A combination of cloud, trees and light polution (street lights) have frustrated my early attempts at star (planet) gazing but time and patience I have!

I have a few newbie questions. As this is a beginners thread is this where I go with real bonehead questions like "how do I look through a telescope?" or "whats a planet?" or do I go searching in the realm of experienced astronomers if the other forums? Alternatively, is this just a meet and greet thread?

I am looking forward to leaning on everyone's experiences and knowledge as my new hobby slowly turns into obsession!

regards

Darrin
Old 29-01-2008, 05:57 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

Hiya Darrin!
you've come to the right place, fire away with any question and there will be someone with an answer I'm sure.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

One of the biggest helps I found to learning the night sky is a free download called Stellarium found here at: www.stelarium.com.

It's disgustingly easy to use and lets you identify what is up over your head right where you are
Old 29-01-2008, 09:15 PM
SteveB

Thanks for the words of suport Ric & Omnivorr, I think this is an amazing site and by reading some of the forums everyone seems to be very helpful and friendly. I am itching to learn more and explore more.

Managed to see the HST again tonight and dragged the family out to see it as well.

I just have to learn all the lingo now and start saving for a new scope.

Is there anywhere on this site or another one that gives a list of Astronomy Clubs in local areas?
Old 29-01-2008, 09:20 PM
SteveB

Oops! sorry guys, just found the link on this site for the clubs. Not a lot in SE Qld though. Any further advise appreciated.

Regards Steve
Old 29-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Darrin, glad to have you onboard. You are in the right place to ask all manner of questions, I agree the Stellarium program is a very useful tool to get you started in this fascinating hobby.

There are also some very good free to download starcharts available as well which will also help you at the scope.

Cheers
Old 29-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Steve, joining an Astro club is a great way to move up the learning curve and there is nothing better than having an observing night with like minded people to help you sort things out.

Cheers
Old 29-01-2008, 10:00 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi to Steve, Darrin and Russ.
Russ, I grew up in Brighton. So we used to be virtually neighbours.
Steve and Darrin, you should come on up to Cambroon Observatory, Kenilworth, next month. Meet a few of us IISer's. Plenty of people with lots of knowledge willing to answer all sorts of questions.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=28033
Old 30-01-2008, 04:36 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Darrin

to IceInSpace! You're welcome to ask questions here, but sometimes they get lost as not all members read this thread in detail.

You're likely to get more responses if you start a new thread with your question. But this thread is a great way to "break the ice"
Old 30-01-2008, 08:02 AM
peggler

Thanks Iceman

For the comments. Will do.

Cheers.
Old 30-01-2008, 05:20 PM
SteveB

Thanks for the invite Jeanette, I will see if I can make it. I have a couple of photo shoots on that day but will try. I hope the weather is better by then.

Steve
Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM
darrinph

Hi guys,

Thankx for the warm welcolm and the invite. I will have to ask my wife if I am allowed out to play! I look forward to seeing you in the forums.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:37 PM
V8cressida

Hello everyone, Newbie to the forum here.

Thought I would introduce myself. I have a 10" f/5 Guan Sheng dob. That I have had for 2-3 years. I have 4 1.25" plossl eyepieces (4,9,15,25) also a 2" 26mm as well.

We live in a nice dark spot 30km due east of Hobart quite offen the sky is "bright with stars".

Any way just thought i'd say hello as I have a renewed interest, as my 9yr old son loves the telescope. I will be looking for more performance and eyepiece ideas and combo's in the future. But first I'll search the forums b4 posting any questions.

Clear skies. V8
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi V8, welcome and great to have you onboard. I'm sure you'll find the answers to all you questions here.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 PM
BerrieK

Hi Everyone

another newby here, just thought that I would introduce myself. Recent purchase of 8" f/5 Skywatcher reflector from Andrews (thanks for all your help guys) was inspired by lifelong need to lie on the grass, watch the night sky and escape from reality...now I've discovered that in fact with my new 'toy' I can escape TO reality. Working with 10, 20 and 30mm (so far) eyepieces +/- GSO 2xBarlow , bought a beaut 4 reticle red dot finder and a few other bits. On the few clear nights I have had opportunity to view, have really enjoyed getting to know my scope and the sky. Husband not sure if he likes the distraction.

Decided to get a GSO laser collimator which unfortunately appears to be out of collimation itself, but found good instruction to remedy this on www.astromaster.com/articles/article.asp?articel_id=96

Have appreciated reading reviews, advice and general banter on this forum and look foreward to further interaction. But I need to get broadband; my dial up connection is a bit like two cups connected with a string!!
Old 11-02-2008, 04:31 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi and to IceInSpace! Great to have you onboard!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 AM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

Getting close to 4,000 members now Mike. Keep up the great work.

Gazz
Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi BerrieK and welcome to the forum, it's great to see you are finding lot's of info to heading in the right direction.

I know what you mean about dialup, I'm still on it as well and it can be very frustating at times.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Juliano

Hi everyone, just thought i'd post my first message here.

I got my first scope from the misses for christmas 2 months ago, its a 50mm refractor from Celestron (it was $48). After seeing Saturn with relatively clear views i was hooked.

I then bought the 127 powerseeker from dick smith for $227. It was a peice of **** after reading this forum i returned the telescope and got my money back (14 days change of mind).

I have now ordered a 8" Skywatcher Dobsonian becuase everyone on this site reccomends it and I also have a pair of cheap 20-180x80 binoculars for general viewing.

In a nutshell i love this site and im hooked
Old 12-02-2008, 12:09 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Juliano and

Have you got out under dark skies yet? When is that 8" coming?

Eric
Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Juliano

On saturday night i drove 100kms out of melbourne just for the fun of it, i was in amazement of what i could see.

I only took my binoculars for portability and creepy surroundings but i could easiliy see orion nebula and eta carina and the lmc were easiliy visible with the naked eye.

the binos are cheap so they dont focus on details well but i was impressed. i have been looking up for 2 months now.