Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Lumpy (Stuart)

New Member From Gippsland

Hi there,

I'm Stuart from Sale, Vic.

I've had a passing interest in astronomy for a long time. I'm a keen hunter and I love the outdoors. When away on hunting trips I look at the night sky and think how amazing it is. I've found the whole thing overwhelming with so much to learn and so little time.

I've bitten the bullet and decided to put some time aside to further my knowledge of the night sky. After a bit of a search I came across this forum.

I'm looking for a club in the Gippsland area. I have found links to the Astronomical Societies of East Gippsland and Latrobe Valley websites but the websites don't exist. If the clubs are still running I'm interested paying them a visit.

I'm new to this thing called a forum too...
Old 28-07-2016, 06:28 AM
steve.garner (Stephen)

Welcome - i'm also fairly new but they are a really friendly and helpful bunch on here.
Old 28-07-2016, 09:23 AM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Welcome!

Stuart!

As a hunter, I'm sure you have a pair of binoculars, is a great way to start learning your way around the night sky.

There are a couple of Sticky threads at the top of the Beginners Start Here topic, one on binos and the other on free start charts. Great reads and very informative. You'll find lots of Sticky threads in ever main topic that will answer most of your questions at the start.

Good luck with finding the Astro groups you are looking for, I'm much farther north so am not familiar with them directly. There is a big group of IIS'ers down that way that will certainly know how to help you.

Again welcome and clear skies!
Old 28-07-2016, 12:42 PM
mjarred4 (Mark)

Latrobe Valley Astro

Hi Stuart

I am a new member to IIS also, re your search for an Astro Society, the Latrobe Valley Astro Society is alive and well.

You can find their website here: www.lvastro.org

I joined recently and they meet monthly and also have regular viewing nights. I think they even have an annual viewing night up your way.

Regards

Mark
Old 31-07-2016, 12:12 PM
danno (Daniel)

Hi

Hi Stuart,
Im also new to IIS. I can't really help you with Astronomical societies although I know Mornington Astronomical Society has an astrophotography night coming up in about a month (10th of sept I think).

I'm also in Sale and have been photographing/teaching wide field astro for a few years now my Facebook is Gippsland Images https://www.facebook.com/gippslandimages/ and website www.gippslandimages.com.au If you need someone to help you out with wide field astro photography that is local yell out and we can meet up sometime. Im an ambassador for Samyang Optics Australia so know my way around the equipment for basic wide field well, although deep space photography/observing is another ball game altogether, hence why Im here.

Anyway would be good to meet up with someone thats also new to this side of things, cheers Daniel.

Last edited by danno; 31-07-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: make it easier for op to view my local photography page with my details etc
Old 31-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno View Post
I know Mornington Astronomical Society has an astrophotography night coming up in about a month (10th of sept I think).
Just an FYI, this year's Astrophotography workshop (Saturday 10th Sept) at MPAS is fully booked.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:34 PM
danno (Daniel)

Ahhhh good stuff redshift I knew there was only a few spots left, good to see it fully booked