Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2016, 08:46 AM
KissMyAsteroid (Mick)

A new member from Rouse Hill (Western Sydney)

43yo Dad of who loves science and technology. Also playing music (guitar) and building things.

Looking to get my 2nd scope. My first, a small refractor with EQ mount was damaged about 10 years ago but I'd love to get back into it. Not that I had it for long.

Anyway, love to come and say g'day when you have a meet and take in as much as I can. Talk to users about what they love and perhaps dislike about their scopes so I can make a good decision getting a new one.

My head is around a reflector on a dobs at the moment, but that is not where I started when I joined this (looking at goto's) and may change! Been checking out Andrews, and others. And the buy/sell page here.

Wow, so many choices.

Mick
Old 10-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Robair (Robert)
Seeing is Not Believing

Gday Mick
I'm just up the road in Toongabbie and am the proud owner of 3 dobs.
If you would like some info or want to try out some different dobs let me know.
I have a bintel 202 8", Orion Starblast 6, and an Orion XTG8.
All are great scopes, the Starblast is the quick grab and go, the 202 is the workhorse and gets the most use, the XTG8 is the one to use on those good seeing nights.
I also have a good range of inexpensive Ep's and filters.
All my equipment except the Starblast has come from the Ice in Space classifieds and I have not spent all that much $ to get where I am at now, keep an eye out in that forum for some great equipment at fair and reasonable prices.
Welcome back to this wonderful and addictive hobby.
Rob B
Old 10-04-2016, 09:52 PM
KissMyAsteroid (Mick)

Hi Robert,

That's really generous of you. After reading the forums, it's really sunk in how much I don't know. I think meeting people in person and seeing how they do thungs would really benefit.

Do you most often do your gazing from home or do you have a particular spot you like to go? Be keen to tag along to a local meet if you know of anything happening.

Cheers,

Mick
Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Robair (Robert)
Seeing is Not Believing

Gday Mick
I have conducted pretty much all of my observing in the back yard to date.
I have a seriously sophisticated observatory set up which consists of 4 loose pavers that I put in the middle of the yard and plonk a dob on them, auxiliary equipment is a chair and a beer. My dog keeps my feet warm.
Shoot me a pm and I'll pass my details to you. Each of my scopes do have their particular pros and cons and I would be happy to discuss those with you and possibly organise for you to come over on a clear night and give them a spin.
In my opinion you can't go wrong with a 6 or 8" dob as a starting point, very little knowledge is required to get observing.
Cheers
Rob B
Old 11-04-2016, 09:48 AM
KissMyAsteroid (Mick)

Sent you a PM! Thanks Rob.

It's really fantastic to be able join a group and then have people offer their time to help others so graciously.

Regards,

Mick
Old 12-04-2016, 02:39 PM
ozigeoff (Geoff)

Hi Mick,

It's great to hear of your interest. I am in Kellyville and have been a member of the local astronomy group SNAG-Sydney Northwest Astronomy group Website - snag.groupbox.com

We meet up every Friday Night at the Dural Pony Club on Bannerman Rd nr Annangrove Road about sunset. That's not too far from you. If it is cloudy we have a coffee (byo) and a chat. If it is clear we bring our scopes and set them up. I have been going for 12 months and have learnt so much from the group.

PM me if you need any more details.

Cheers
Geoff
Old 12-04-2016, 08:44 PM
KissMyAsteroid (Mick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozigeoff View Post
Hi Mick,

It's great to hear of your interest. I am in Kellyville and have been a member of the local astronomy group SNAG-Sydney Northwest Astronomy group Website - snag.groupbox.com

We meet up every Friday Night at the Dural Pony Club on Bannerman Rd nr Annangrove Road about sunset. That's not too far from you. If it is cloudy we have a coffee (byo) and a chat. If it is clear we bring our scopes and set them up. I have been going for 12 months and have learnt so much from the group.

PM me if you need any more details.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for reaching out.

I just got off the phone with Rob (Robair) who was kind enough to answer my questions and out a few things in perspective. Rob mentioned the Dural Pony club and the SNAG group.

I'd love to come down one Friday. This Friday isn't good, but I think next Friday sounds like it could be the go. In fact, my map says I'm 12 minutes for the pony club, so I really don't have any excuse, do I?

Cheers,

Mick
Old 13-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Rick Parrott
Dexdoggy

Welcome KMA! This really is a great forum to learn and laugh, so enjoy!
Old 13-04-2016, 12:51 PM
dimithri86 (Dimithri)

I really need to start attending Dural Pony club too, its on the way home for me.

Now that uni is over I have no excuses.
Old 14-04-2016, 10:00 PM
KissMyAsteroid (Mick)

Hey thanks for the welcome guys. Perhaps see you soon at Dural.

Mick