Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 29-03-2016, 12:33 PM
_Jimmy (Loren James)

Hi! and also a question on revealing location

Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster. I've been using this site to stoke the fires of an interest that I have long neglected... and it appears to be working

So now that I am out and about getting to places to get some photos (currently wide angle, wanting to work my way to include deep sky as I can afford things) and have posted up a couple of my first shots around the place (I'll post some here when I get home today) a common question has started popping up that I feel uncomfortable in confidently answering...

Where was that taken?

And I'm not talking in the what state /town kind of general where was that taken, but in this case very specific request for the property.

Now I have to admit that in my last foray out, I wouldn't have exactly had the permission of the property owner (was a farm paddock), but you know how it is, it was somewhere I had found (through hours of my own research) that had something interesting, just park the car and set up.

However, I'm not keen on just handing out the location to some unsuspecting property owner’s land, or to an extent even the town that it was near (although I did mention this in the posting of an image).

So for those photographers that have been at nightscapes for a while, what is the etiquette here with regards to revealing the location of a shot that isn't well known? Are good “private” locations guarded, only shared with close circles of well known people? How would you handle above but also if you have a "spot" that is quiet and gives you the results you are after?

Sorry for long first post, my rambling thoughts control my writing- Jim

P.s. - I'll add some photos later!!
Old 29-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

I don't think there are any rules as such, probably whatever information you're comfortable with revealing on a case by case basis.
Personally, in the case of a third-party's property location (whether you're there legitimately or otherwise), I'd be very reluctant to do that, other than to say it was taken on someone's private property.
I understand that people are keen to get out and photograph from great locations, and many people like to share those locations, but there's really no requirement to 'reveal all' just because someone thinks they have a right to know.
Looking forward to seeing your shots :-)
Old 29-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Welcome to these awesome forums

As for revealing location, there isn't really any reason to be more specific than suburb. I own 10 acres up on Heathcote so if I am explaining where a photo has been taken, that's about as specific as it gets really.
Old 29-03-2016, 03:06 PM
gts055 (Mark)

Hii Jim, being a public forum, I think it best to keep details like that to yourself. Have fun, Mark
Old 29-03-2016, 04:38 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

You can always give a rough indication. Longitude & latitude to the nearest degree still gives enough of an idea of the night sky from your vantage point but it typically covers an area 100s of kms in size.
Old 29-03-2016, 05:03 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

6 decimal places.... we need precise info so we can steal your site and dob you in.
I've never said where mine are taken and sometimes I don't even know what I have taken.
Old 29-03-2016, 09:02 PM
_Jimmy (Loren James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift13 View Post
I don't think there are any rules as such, probably whatever information you're comfortable with revealing on a case by case basis.....

Looking forward to seeing your shots :-)
Thanks! Posted some shots in the forum, was a great night out!http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=144281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Welcome to these awesome forums

As for revealing location, there isn't really any reason to be more specific than suburb...
Cheers! Yes they are awesome some (understatement) amazing photography here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts055 View Post
Hii Jim, being a public forum, I think it best to keep details like that to yourself. Have fun, Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss View Post
You can always give a rough indication. Longitude & latitude to the nearest degree still gives enough of an idea of the night sky from your vantage point but it typically covers an area 100s of kms in size.
Thanks guys. Just a bit more reassuring. Mark, I tend to agree in not revealing the exact location publically, just had a couple of people really pushing privately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
6 decimal places.... we need precise info so we can steal your site and dob you in.
I've never said where mine are taken and sometimes I don't even know what I have taken.
I'm not sure that will be close enough for you to know where I put my thermos though

Thanks everyone for input so far. Just like to be able to point out roughly where an interesting shot may have been taken but not just give it away especially if I have taken hours to research a spot that isn't common knowledge like the Pinnacles. Its good there's no expectation. I'll tell 'em to find their own awesome shot
Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jimmy View Post
Hi All,

Now I have to admit that in my last foray out, I wouldn't have exactly had the permission of the property owner (was a farm paddock)...
What you did was wrong, and stupid.

Consider yourself quite lucky you weren't staring down the wrong end of a shotgun with a very angry landowner at the other end.

ALWAYS get permission from the landowner first. Chances are if you did the right thing (ie ask first) and offer something half decent in return, you'll be welcome.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:57 AM
redbeard (Damien)

=================================== ===========
"Originally Posted by _Jimmy http://www.iceinspace.com.au/vbiis/i...s/viewpost.gif
Hi All,

Now I have to admit that in my last foray out, I wouldn't have exactly had the permission of the property owner (was a farm paddock)..."

=================================== ===========

What you did was song and stupendous.

Consider yourself quite lucky you weren't staring down the song end of a bovine with a very randy lawnmower at the other end.

ALWAYS get submission from the lawnmower first. Chances are, you did the right thing (ie task first) and offer something like chaff and lucerne in return, you'll see Neptune. Welcome

I once sat in the car after the meter had expired for 10 minutes, that was exciting!

Last edited by redbeard; 02-04-2016 at 03:37 AM.