Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 AM
grimsay (Iain)

High five Vijay!

I bagged the Blue planetary last night too (my first also. Beautiful colour in the 25mm (basically same setup as yourself but 8" f6). 10mm was less colourful and I could only make it out with averted vision. Need darker skies.

I also found but could really say that I saw Centaurus A. If I looked far out of field or moved my view I noticed a grey smudge with what looked like a dark band running through. Was definitely there but I don't really feel like I observed it.

Still pretty chuffed with last night.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:15 PM
raymo

Well done. Another pair of planetaries in that general area. Put the cross
vertical in a low power EP. Memorise the distance from the top star of the
cross to the bottom one. Sweep at 8 o'clock from the bottom star of the cross slightly more than the distance you have memorised, and you will see NGC 5189 which is quite different from 3918; it is irregularly shaped
in a sort of a spiral, and a lot larger. More detail will be seen with an O111 filter in larger scopes. The 10" might do a bit better than the 8" on this one.
If you continue on from 5189 about another third of the distance between the top and bottom stars you will come across NGC 5315
which is like 3918, but will be a test, as it is only half the size.
raymo
Old 04-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Blu (Vijay)

High Five Iain! Thanks Raymo and the rest of you for opening new vistas up for us. I will try your next targets real soon weather and wife willing Considering how small and faint these planetaries and galaxies are, it beggars belief how they were noticed for the very first time. Incredible powers of observation and patience.
Cheers,
Vijay