Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:37 AM
aoeu (Jimbo)

Gazing Advice - Sydney

Hello everyone. I live in Bankstown Sydney. I'm planning to go gazing this Sunday or Monday night. They're the only two nights I'm available in the near future. According to this http://goo.gl/fHO0Ov the weather should be clear, no clouds, no rain, and the moon should be gone.

I've done a bit of searching around and found that Katoomba may be the best place to look at the night sky without traveling too far (under 2 hours drive is good). There were 2 locations I'm scouting.

-Katoomba Airfield. Closed to public but I thought maybe I could park there and walk around someone publicly accessible.
- https://goo.gl/ohq1fW which is near Kings Tableland Observatory.

-Which is better?
-Have I missed anything?
-Any other tips/locations advisable for these two days?

Thankyou
Old 12-02-2016, 12:21 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Jimbo,

to IIS!

If nothing is planned for the Airfield, it is best not to intrude. There is no parking area there outside the Airfield.

There are times when the Airfield is not available to us. On these occasions, there are a couple of fall-back sites we have, but the are open public places. One is Hargraves Lookout, the other Mt Blackheath Lookout. Both are accessed via Blackheath, and it is literally a fork in the road that leads to one of the other!

Hargraves Lookout has a more expansive sky, but it is much more exposed. In the depths of winter it can be most bloody cold. In summer, the worst that can happen is wind. You will need to lug your gear across from the parking lot to the observation area.

Mt Blackheath Lookout is more protect, but the sky is more restricted. There is also a launch pad for hang gliders and paragliders there. Finding a suitable flat spot to set up is more tricky.

While both sites are very remote, the occasional lost tourist does show up in the middle of the night. And local twits can too. So always go with a mate.

Be careful driving along the road leading from Blackheath between dusk and dawn. There are kangaroos around then, and the dopey buggers have no road sense. I came very close to crashing into two one time. Much of this road is unsealed too, so don't drive too fast either - if a roo or a car appears suddenly from around a corner, you're stuffed.

If it's summer, head to Hargraves. If winter, Mt Blackheath is a warmer option. But always take warm clothing, even in summer. It does still get cold up there at night.

Mental.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:38 PM
aoeu (Jimbo)

Thankyou for those two locations, I'll be heading to Hargraves. I have no gear to lug just my eyes and maybe a Thermos! Have I used the weather/sky/cloud forecast correctly in finding that there will be no clouds and the moon will be away? This is for Sunday or Monday night coming. http://goo.gl/fHO0Ov
Old 12-02-2016, 01:21 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Hey Jimbo,

The Moon will be up Sunday and Monday nights. But it will be setting Sunday night at 11:40pm, and on Monday around 1am (Tuesday morning).

There is a little Moon icon on the left hand margin of the IIS page here. If you click on the icon it will bring up a page with the forth coming lunar phases, the Moon & Sun rise and set times, and the various twilight start and end times for the week.

While the Moon won't be 'ideal', all is not lost though. The closer to setting that it is, the less and less its influence is.

The ClearOutside link you put up shows that Monday night will be clouded out. Early evening Sunday will be your best chance.

If you enter the post code for Katoomba, 2780, it will give a more accurate prediction for the area of the Lookouts.

If you have binos, take them! Along with your Thermos! And don't be concerned if the binos that you have you may feel are somehow inadequate - they will still surprise you! They will still collect more light than our eyes alone can, and that is what we want.

Mental.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:34 PM
aoeu (Jimbo)

Seems like the forecast has changed just recently. I was just looking at 0% cloud not long ago. Will have to revisit this idea another time but I have all the information I need to get started. Thanks so much.

If the moon has already, and there are no clouds, then is it same to assume the sky will look brilliant?
Old 12-02-2016, 01:54 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Even with a crescent Moon up in the early evening, the sky will still be much more magnificent than what it will be from Sydney or Bankstown. And when it sets, well...
Old 12-02-2016, 02:08 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

For those who come across this post in time, we will be holding an informal gathering at Katooomba Airfield tomorrow night, Saturday 13th February.

It is a good chance to get some dark sky time, to ask questions about this or that, to look at different scopes, what they do and don't do, and ask for help with your scope. If you have a scope, bring it!! If you only have binos, bring them! If you only have your eyes, come along all the same! We don't bite, much, or very hard...

You'll find details and directions in the IIS link below:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...wpost&t=142699

If you haven't been to a star party before, come prepared with warm clothing - it may be summer, but evenings it still does get cold up there. Bring a flashlight - BUT put two or three layers of red celophane to mask the white light in case you don't have a red light torch. Red light causes the less disruption to dark adapted eyes.

Jimbo, I'm sorry to read you won't be able to join us.

Mental.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:12 PM
JoeBlow

Have you considered the Southern Highlands? You get some very dark skies there as long as you keep away from the towns.

The best skies I've personally seen anywhere have been about 30min drive either north or south of Goulburn. Though that would be over 2hr from Bankstown.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:50 PM
aoeu (Jimbo)

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it but thankyou for the offer.
Old 19-02-2016, 09:08 PM
FI93 (Norm)

Come to the Southern Highlands

Come down to the Southern Highlands, it's a straight drive down the freeway and back. the only traffic lights you hit after joining the freeway are when you hit Mittagong.