Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 14-02-2015, 12:39 AM
aiesh_kaul (Jimmy)

Best book for Astronomy in Australia?

Hi Everebody,

I am new to astronomy and looking for a good book to start with, which gives a step by step guidance to navigate the southern night sky. I have come across the following over the internet:

1. Astronomy 2015 Australia
2. Australian Backyard Astronomy
3. Atlas of the Southern Night Sky

Could you please suggest which one of these is a good one or if you know any other better option please let me know.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 14-02-2015, 07:51 AM
CJ (Chris)

Hi Jimmy
Atlas of the Southern Night Sky is the only one I have from your list but I will say I think it is great book. Good photos, loads of info about allsorts of aspects of astronomy. And for those of us with poor reading vision, decent size text.
But, it is a bit of a coffee table book. It's a big and heavy hardback.
I read mine from the comfort of my sofa!
Cheers
Old 14-02-2015, 02:35 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Jimmy

I'm like Chris, I have the Atlas of the Southern Night Sky and love it. It is a big heavy book, too big for the field in my opinion but very useful for planning.

For the field I would recommend the pocket sky atlas. Pages have a plastic coating and it is coil bound so you can just have one page open without destroying the book. It has enough bright stuff to keep you busy but also some more dim and challenging objects for that something extra. I bought mine at Bintel a few years ago.

You can't have enough books on astronomy. I also have and recommend the Messier Atlas and Astrometria 2000. Makes birthdays and Xmas very easy for your family .

Wayne
Old 14-02-2015, 05:48 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Jimmy,
I believe "Australian Backyard Astronomy" is aimed at a young audience, probably not what you are after.
"Astronomy 2015 Australia" is a yearly publication with a lot of very useful information for astronomers of all experience levels. Not "step by step guidance" for beginners per se, but it is a very useful resource with month-by-month charts and things to watch for in 2015.
The Pocket Sky Atlas (from Sky and Telescope) that Wayne mentioned is a very useful star atlas and well worth buying to have by your scope when observing.
If you are looking for a step-by-step book for beginners, the venerable "The Amateur Astronomer" (12th Ed) by Patrick Moore is worth a read, as is "A guide to the night sky" (Revised Edition) by Robert Burham et al. You could probably get copies of these from your local library to read through and get you started. Another oldy but a goody is "The Southern Sky" by David Reidy and Ken Wallace. Out of print, but check your local library. (These 3 are all a bit out-of-date in terms of latest equipment, which is why I would suggest the library.)
All the best,

Dean
Old 14-02-2015, 06:39 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

all books are good for astronomy in Australia, just reverse the seasons ...turn left at Orion is a good beginners book.

matt
Old 14-02-2015, 06:45 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I reckon the Southern Sky Guide is a good place to start.

http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx
Old 14-02-2015, 08:45 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Hey Jimmy! Welcome! I started out with Astronomy Australia and think it is a terrific book and quite helpful. Hands down the best book for beginners through to keen stargazers is The Stargazers Guide to the Night Sky; but it is American so you'd have to search a bit for it (it is by Dr Jason Lisle)..and just a heads up, it is authored by a Creationist but IS NOT an apologetic book at all...I've never read a better one on stargazing - it is practical and very informative...enjoy..oh, and, the night sky is a "book" all of it's own
Old 14-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

The books by Robin Scagell (many of them) and Mark Thompson, although aimed principally at the NH audience, are really excellent.