Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 17-08-2016, 11:36 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

yes the classic cheese burger . Cool the think you are looking at star light 20million years old .
Brian. Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
And Centaurus A is bright (for a galaxy) and easily star hoppable from Omega Centauri. And it has those cool dust lanes! :-)
Old 22-08-2016, 06:18 AM
MichaelSW (Michael)

Beatlejohn,

G’day.

Welcome to the challenge of finding objects for yourself.

A book I thoroughly recommend is “Star Watch: The Amateur Astronomer's Guide to Finding, Observing, and Learning about Over 125 Celestial Objects” by Philip S Harrington. Go along to your local library and see if they have a copy on the shelf.

This is a wonderful book to get you into learning to star-hop. The stars and objects for each season are presented in 6 or 7 charts with clear instructions how to hop you way to the target object.

Once you realize that YOU CAN find objects – well the sky is the limit.

Here is a link to the book on Philip Harrington’s website. You can see examples of the information in each chapter and the Sky-Charts at http://www.philharrington.net/swtch.htm

The Book Depository currently has soft-cover edition available at AUD $25.92.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Star-W.../9780471418047

Two good bits of advice commonly given on IIS are to get a planisphere, and to download Stellarium. You should take some time to sit down with your planisphere to locate and identify the constellations in the sky.

A useful bit of advice I got when starting out was to learn the position of the 20 brightest stars.

And join your local Astronomy group – if there is one!

I agree wholeheartedly with madwayne that Ruby Crucis, the little blood red carbon star close by Beta Crucis, is worth a visit. It is a beautiful little gem sitting there in contrast to the blue-white Mimosa. I always include it in my sky-tours.

Cheers.