Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 10-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS6000 View Post
In hobart when is it at it's highest? Its hard to tell from sky safari, but looks like it just gets there in winter?
Hi Tim,
Andromeda is observable from Hobart, but don't expect any detail, just a faint haze with some brightening at the centre. I've not tried finding Andromeda in the morning sky in Hobart, rather I chase a sighting each November in the evening. I have a separate Thread "Andromeda from Hobart".
From memory Andromeda is at almost 5 deg elevation at culmination so you need to chose an observing place carefully. To quote from my 2015 post:
"A clear night last night with no cloud on the northern horizon gave me my best chance so far this year to track down and catch a glimpse of Andromeda.
It was an easy find this year compared to earlier years. All I could see was a broad hazy patch with obvious brightening towards the centre. There was no sign of structure nor any evidence of m31 or m110.
I am not chasing Andromeda for the views, rather the challenge of being able to see it from Hobart. It is a matter of patience waiting for the right conditions given Andromeda is so low on the northern horizon. I live well south of Hobart so I have to look through the Hobart light pollution. On the plus side I have a virtually unrestricted northerly horizon down to about 2 degrees elevation with these low hills blocking the majority of the direct line of sight lights of Hobart.
Observation with 140mm refractor at 67X and 2.1mm exit pupil."

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-05-2016, 04:57 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverthomas View Post
Thanks for the replies and kind welcomes. I have just purchase a pair of mini giants15x65, and have had a great time seeing Europa, Ganymede and Io. Have been trying to spot a galaxy apart from our own. The moon has not helped. This is why I was hoping to see andrometa. What are some suitable galaxys to be seen through the binoculars. Thanks again and clear sky's to you all.
I think Andromeda would be a disappointment from Hobart, but if you want to look at nice galaxies in your binos, why not look the other way at the Magellanic Clouds? They completely blow Andromeda out of the water, are very visible naked eye if you get away from the city lights, and binos give you great detail...

- Dean
Old 10-05-2016, 08:56 PM
VS6000 (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Hi Tim,
Andromeda is observable from Hobart, but don't expect any detail, just a faint haze with some brightening at the centre. I've not tried finding Andromeda in the morning sky in Hobart, rather I chase a sighting each November in the evening. I have a separate Thread "Andromeda from Hobart".
From memory Andromeda is at almost 5 deg elevation at culmination so you need to chose an observing place carefully. To quote from my 2015 post:
"A clear night last night with no cloud on the northern horizon gave me my best chance so far this year to track down and catch a glimpse of Andromeda.
It was an easy find this year compared to earlier years. All I could see was a broad hazy patch with obvious brightening towards the centre. There was no sign of structure nor any evidence of m31 or m110.
I am not chasing Andromeda for the views, rather the challenge of being able to see it from Hobart. It is a matter of patience waiting for the right conditions given Andromeda is so low on the northern horizon. I live well south of Hobart so I have to look through the Hobart light pollution. On the plus side I have a virtually unrestricted northerly horizon down to about 2 degrees elevation with these low hills blocking the majority of the direct line of sight lights of Hobart.
Observation with 140mm refractor at 67X and 2.1mm exit pupil."

Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve! I normally drive to somewhere in the south west, or around Kempton way to do my astrophotography, lovely and dark.
Sounds like I'll give November a shot, I just want to see it for myself really!
Have just about done all the easy galaxy/nebula so looking for more within my range
Thanks again!