Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 31-03-2016, 08:45 AM
breammaster (Wey)

M104 with 10x50 binoculars in a suburban backyard?

Has anyone managed to see the sombrero galaxy in 10x50 binos from a suburban backyard?

I tried last night, but could seem to see it. I detected a faint fuzz with averted vision. But it could have been nothing. I'm 30 kms west of melbourne. I can pick it in my 8inch dob easy. My hand holding of the bino is relatively steady. Perhaps I should try mounting it on my monopod?
Old 31-03-2016, 09:40 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I can pick it in my 8x56 binoculars from my back yard and I live in town but mine is quite dark as we back on to a reserve.
It's a fairly small and bright galaxy with well defined star patterns around it so I would say you did see it. , well done .
And yes a monopod will help immensely.

Have you tried 5128 , centaurus A yet. ? It's getting higher as the night progresses , should be quite easy .

Keep up the good work.

Brian.
Old 31-03-2016, 10:32 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

not sure a monopod would help that much, i would have thought point cook would have been alright, Melb city is pretty much a no go, & its an easy grab out where i live
Old 31-03-2016, 10:50 AM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
not sure a monopod would help that much, i would have thought point cook would have been alright, Melb city is pretty much a no go, & its an easy grab out where i live
They recently installed bright LED street lamps outside my house which I am not happy with. The street is a lot brighter now
Old 31-03-2016, 10:51 AM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
I can pick it in my 8x56 binoculars from my back yard and I live in town but mine is quite dark as we back on to a reserve.
It's a fairly small and bright galaxy with well defined star patterns around it so I would say you did see it. , well done .
And yes a monopod will help immensely.

Have you tried 5128 , centaurus A yet. ? It's getting higher as the night progresses , should be quite easy .

Keep up the good work.

Brian.
I'll give centaraus A a go. I love reclining on my anti gravity chair. I can always retract the monopod and still hold it while lying down. Should be some extra stability.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:05 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Go for it , there is something about actually seeing with your own eyes and brain something thats 20 million light years away ,,, man was not even on the face of the earth when that light left ... food for thought .
Brian.