Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Wombat68 (Trevor)

Hi all

Hi everyone,

New guy here from Perth WA.
Looking forward to learning loads from the forums.

Currently have a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ which has done me ok but really looking to upgrade now. Looking for something more portable than a dob so have really shortlisted the following two so far. I know both will be a big improvement over what I have now.

Any comments on either scopes more than welcome please

Skywatcher 120mmx600mm Refractor AZ3 SW120

Skywatcher 6" Reflector EQ3
Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat68 View Post
Hi everyone,

New guy here from Perth WA.
Looking forward to learning loads from the forums.

Currently have a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ which has done me ok but really looking to upgrade now. Looking for something more portable than a dob so have really shortlisted the following two so far. I know both will be a big improvement over what I have now.

Any comments on either scopes more than welcome please

Skywatcher 120mmx600mm Refractor AZ3 SW120

Skywatcher 6" Reflector EQ3
hi trevor,

welcome

i can't comment much on the refractor but i still reckon that an 8" dob is nearly on par with an equatorially mounted 6" reflector ... and easier to look through. this is especially the case if its collapsible - but that depends really on exactly how much space you have and how able you are to move things around. definitely recommend checking out scopes at stores or star parties to get a good idea.

Cheers

Rusty
Old 08-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Nebulator2570 (Gabriel)

Scope review..

Hi Wombat

to the community, Glad to see a new member joining.. Dont know much about the two telescope in question you have but did some research, I think its really preference in what you like..

TheSkywatcher 6" Reflector EQ3, is an excellent scope and the mount can be made to be a goto mount so meaning it can be motorised, giving it an eq3, better mount than the other scope in question..
here is a link on the scope info:

http://www.skywatchertelescopes.com....3-bkp150750eq3

OK as for the Skywatcher 120mmx600mm Refractor AZ3 SW120, its a achromatic scope its ok for observing, but its also got to do with what you want to use it for..
There are 2 types of scopes... Achromatic and Apochromatic.. Two differences and it can be a see when you image DSO (deep sky objects) Its got to do with the glass..

http://starizona.com/acb/basics/equi...efractors.aspx

This should help you with knowledge of the differences.. Plus it can be a difference in price aswell ranging from a few $100s to a few $1000s
Again it depends on what you want to use it for... I hope it helps there are plenty of information out there about the two types, Youtube, Google, or your local astronomy shop (if you have one near by).

Well i tried to explain it and hope i have helped a little bit to getting you towards your goal..hehe

Nebulator
Old 08-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Trevor, there is a good thread on this scope here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=117525

I ended up getting the SW120, and am more than happy. It is a superb wide-field scope for low power work, for objects like star clusters, nebula, galaxies (well, the relatively bright ones) etc. No good for planetary.

I don't use the AZ3 mount much, I instead put it on my AZ-EQ6. I also use high quality eyepieces with it, which brings the best out in it. But it is very sharp and the CA is not noticeable if used properly.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

I've got an AZ3 mount and I'm not really fond of it. The refractor would be useful at low power, though you'd need a yellow/green filter on high power eyepieces to get reasonable views of the planets.

The 6" equatorial reflector would be better and easier to use in my opinion, though if photography is unlikely to be a big thing for you, and 8" dob would be better yet.
Regards,
Renato
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Wombat68 (Trevor)

Thanks for your messages everyone.

I actually found an 8" Skywatcher Dob on Gumtree at the weekend that was so close to me it was too good to pass up so ended up getting that.

Not as portable as I would have liked admittedly but am loving the views so far.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:03 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

Trevor, congats on your "new" dob.

i have no experience with other 'scopes but see lotsa newbies and some experienced AAs having lotsa fun with dobs just as i am!!

and if more post purchase confirmation is needed; Alex aka mental has posted that the skywatcher has some of the sharpest views in class!

i can carry mine assembled (just tighten the tension handles so the thread cannot bend) n really easily in 2 parts, but if you have difficulty, others use wheeled removalist type trolleys with some packing, creeksky converted a golf cart, others use castors, n usually on bigger ones wheelbarrow type handles n wheels. forum search for lotsa tips.

for 4wd ute transport on rough tracks, i bought a large masters/geelong metal toolbox ($114) and used the original Styrofoam packing plus some foam for the OTA - similar would work in a trailer e.g.

i hope some of this is helpful in getting you n dob out as often as possible, enjoy, Lindon
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Visionary (David)

Not a Dob, though close!

Trevor,

I don't own a Dob, but I do own the next best thing a Newtonian. If my my little Celestron Astro Master 130 EQ grazes on sufficient starlight and can bask under warming glow of nebula, it may one day grow into a 8" Dob! Until that day, welcome and lets hope there is heaps of time under clear dark sky's so both you and your Dob can drink your fill of Star Light.

Cheers

David
Old 09-02-2015, 10:30 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Trevor,

I don't own a Dob, but I do own the next best thing a Newtonian. If my my little Celestron Astro Master 130 EQ grazes on sufficient starlight and can bask under warming glow of nebula, it may one day grow into a 8" Dob! Until that day, welcome and lets hope there is heaps of time under clear dark sky's so both you and your Dob can drink your fill of Star Light.

Cheers

David
Just to clear up, a dob is a newtonian. A newtonian refers to the type of scope, it is a dob if it is on a dobsonian mount. Your 130EQ is a newtonian on an EQ mount.

Malcolm