Old 17-09-2020, 08:31 AM
Stevensing (Steven)

first telescope

Hi!

After lurking in this forum for a while, I have the following setup in my mind, but would like to check with you if the setup makes any sense because I am a beginner

I am currently using a fuji xt-10 and a sky-watcher star adventurer. I am thinking to get the following equipment mainly for DSO astrophotography, but hopefully can do some visual observation too, currently I am using a 15*70 bino for visual observation.

1) William Optics Zenith Star Z61

2) William optics adjustable 0.8x reducer flattener (or I should just get the cheaper flattener only)

3) The M48 Ring Adapter for fuji (I note that this scope use M48 instead of T2/M42)

4) a 3.2mm 60 degree eyepiece (112x magnification)

5) a 8mm 60 degree eyepiece (45x)

6) Skywatcher 1.25" Di-electric diagonal

Given this is a small scope, I am not sure if it is good for visual, so I am bit hesitate with item 4-6, not to mention whether a 3.2/8mm make any sense.

Please feel free to comment, appreciate your help

Cheers,
Steven
Old 17-09-2020, 04:18 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Steven,
If you are intent on using the star adventurer mount, I would stick with telephoto lenses. You can get some good used 200mm and 300mm prime lenses that may work (with adaptors). This mount is not going to work with any sort of telescope and DSLR.
Old 17-09-2020, 06:09 PM
Stevensing (Steven)

Thanks!
Old 17-09-2020, 08:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The mount is what it is all about..best starter mount for the money is a HEQ 5.
Then get a 6 inch Newtonian scope with a coma corrector or even an eight inch with a coma corrector. Don't get carried away going for high magnification...when it gets bigger it gets so fuzzy you will not be pleased...usually you see more at lower mag cause it is clear.
Have a look in the photo section at what Star trek is doing with a six inch Newtonian and a dedicated astro camera.
However the advice above re getting a longer fl lens for your .camera will take you a long way as you can target many objects with a 200 mm f/l and there is nothing better than wide field Milky Way from zip up to 200 mm.
Good luck ..please put up some of your efforts.
Alex
Old 18-09-2020, 11:01 AM
Stevensing (Steven)

Thanks Alex