Old 16-05-2010, 07:40 PM
kustard (Simon)
Great Sage == Heaven

Observation Report - 15/05/2010

Ok, here's my report for the 15th May 2010 at the Bargo site.

Still have a few things to sort out with the scope and really need to get a some extra warm woolies but nothing that prevented me from getting my desired observing done. A low battery at the end of the night meant a bit more gossiping than observing, hehehe.

The main aim of the session was to observe as many of the Caldwell Catalogue objects as possible.

http://astronomy.kustard.org/?Astronomy_Blog:20100515

Enjoy!
Old 16-05-2010, 11:20 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

That's a big list for one session and your descriptions are getting more detailed too. That's a good idea to record your difficulties as well as the successes.

Nice report.
Old 16-05-2010, 11:48 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Simon & All,

Very good list with a nice variety of objects -- descriptions getting better and more detailed too.

Need to find you a better battery for next month. As it gets colder, battery performance will become even more compromised.

BTW, if you can't come up with some warm clothes or next month, let me know and you can have my old one-piece freezer suit for the night -- you'll need it. June temps are often below zero at Bargo. Gotta say you're a lot quicker at getting your notes in order than I! I haven't even started (mind you I slept in till 12.30 and went to work at the obs tonight). Gary and I left just before 4am in the end.

Just a reminder, don't forget to give you-know-who a ring and get him motivated to tag along next month -- more the merrier!

Best,

Les D
Old 17-05-2010, 09:57 AM
kustard (Simon)
Great Sage == Heaven

Thanks Michael and Les,

Yeah, I really need to get my dew heater controller going, that should help a little and maybe a smaller secondary battery just to run the iPhone and SkyFi unit.

I plan on heading down to the club this week and order a freezer jacket and pants. Have to sort out my size though.

Sunday is usually a wife and kid free day so I can knuckle down and get the notes done, I'm still not recording a lot of detail so it's pretty easy so far. I didn't get up until 10:30ish but my sleep wasn't the best so Sunday was a bit groggy hehe.

4am huh?! Nice. Did you end up checking out Jupiter?

Ahhh yes, you-know-who hehehe.
Old 17-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Liz

Wow!! Thats a huge list Simon, well done. Looked like a great night.
Old 17-05-2010, 11:40 AM
kustard (Simon)
Great Sage == Heaven

Thanks Liz,

Yeah I've been looking at lots but I think from now on I'll narrow the list down and spend more time getting some more complete observation of objects in. The thing to note is that the go-to scope has really sped up "finding" of objects but not necessarily the "observing" of said objects