Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 17-09-2020, 10:18 AM
tornado33

Spare tyre nebula, IC 5148

Did this late last night. Used the Duo Narrowband clip filter in the EOS Ra. 7 x 10 mins iso 3200. 10 inch f5.6 Newtonian. Hand guided. The TS optics OAG is great, coma free round guide stars ahead of the Narrowband
filter. Guide star image highly magnified almost pixel accurate guiding as good as the seeing allows. Love view allowed accurate focus. This is a crop from the full frame image. Just O3 and HA light shown.
Astrobin here
Scott https://www.astrobin.com/bconp4/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ic5148x7x10miniso3200raduo10infinc.jpg)
142.9 KB69 views

Last edited by tornado33; 17-09-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 17-09-2020, 11:27 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yeah wow mate, a great result...and eyeballing a guide star on a screen to boot, amazing ...you may just be the finest and most experienced visual autoguider on Earth

Mike
Old 17-09-2020, 02:33 PM
tornado33

Thanks mate. Once I get into it I use both the fast and slow buttons on the drive corrector hand control and use the fine adjustment dial to deal with the periodic error. The guide star will speed up and slow down at fairly regular intervals. The speed change is not great and easy to deal with. So even though the old Sampson mount has a plastic drive wheel, and the PE is quite large it happens slowly in a way I can easily guide out. The other handy thing is Sharpcaps Polar Align. I can get within arc secs of alignment in only a minute or so and even before fully dark. This means little dec adjustment needed, i just sit back and concentrate on the RA
Old 17-09-2020, 02:54 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
Thanks mate. Once I get into it I use both the fast and slow buttons on the drive corrector hand control and use the fine adjustment dial to deal with the periodic error. The guide star will speed up and slow down at fairly regular intervals. The speed change is not great and easy to deal with. So even though the old Sampson mount has a plastic drive wheel, and the PE is quite large it happens slowly in a way I can easily guide out. The other handy thing is Sharpcaps Polar Align. I can get within arc secs of alignment in only a minute or so and even before fully dark. This means little dec adjustment needed, i just sit back and concentrate on the RA
While I wouldn't give up my average autoguiding errors of just +/- 0.2" I do relate to the hand guiding and love the fact that somone still does it and so well!

How do you make Dec adjustments?

Mike
Old 18-09-2020, 08:45 PM
tornado33

Dec adjustments are with a rather dodgy rotate by hand control, so I sit next to the mount with that within easy reach, with the accurate polar alingment Ive sometimes been able to go for 10 minutes without needing to touch it. After each sub I will move the guide star a few pixels in a random direction then start the next sub, dithering. No doubt the OAG setup I have would work very well on a good autoguided mount
Old 18-09-2020, 10:15 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
Dec adjustments are with a rather dodgy rotate by hand control, so I sit next to the mount with that within easy reach, with the accurate polar alingment Ive sometimes been able to go for 10 minutes without needing to touch it. After each sub I will move the guide star a few pixels in a random direction then start the next sub, dithering. No doubt the OAG setup I have would work very well on a good autoguided mount
Ah, so you also manually dither too ...give that man a New!

Mike