Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 12-06-2018, 04:07 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

custom adapters.

Hi everyone.

Moderators please move this if it's not appropriate here.

I'm looking for expresions of interest in a adapter making service for IIS members. I want to offer my services to make adapters, extension tubes etc. for conecting various telescope parts together at the imaging train end of the telescope. This is much like one well known company is doing now in the USA, but I aim to provide the parts at less cost.

Parts will have a moneyback guarantee or replace for free if the parts are delivered out of spec, or something to that effect.

Would this be a service that anyone woud be interested in using??

Regards,

Joshua.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:18 AM
Kunama

I recently spent a small fortune getting adapters made and I don't even delve into the abyss that is imaging rigs. I think you would get quite a bit of work from the forums and from astronomy clubs...
Old 12-06-2018, 07:43 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Hi everyone.

Moderators please move this if it's not appropriate here.

I'm looking for expresions of interest in a adapter making service for IIS members. I want to offer my services to make adapters, extension tubes etc. for conecting various telescope parts together at the imaging train end of the telescope. This is much like one well known company is doing now in the USA, but I aim to provide the parts at less cost.

Parts will have a moneyback guarantee or replace for free if the parts are delivered out of spec, or something to that effect.

Would this be a service that anyone woud be interested in using??

Regards,

Joshua.
I think that's a great idea to do it locally. I'd be careful about the moneyback guarantee or replace for free part. Unfortunately you'll get people taking advantage of this. Will you set yourself as a sole trader?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Thanks Matt and Marc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I think that's a great idea to do it locally. I'd be careful about the moneyback guarantee or replace for free part. Unfortunately you'll get people taking advantage of this. Will you set yourself as a sole trader?
Marc, i will have to be carefull about that, but i recon I'd have to offer some kind of guarantee, any ideas? And yes, I'd do this on my own.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Josh,

If you can product good quality adapters at a reasonable price then I reckon you'd get quite a lot of local business.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 AM
gregbradley

It sounds great. I have spent a small fortune on Precise Parts adapters.

But he does provice a quality product and his make an adapter graphic on his site is clever but it does put the responsibility on the buyer which I don't like.

I made one simple error on an expensive adapter that cost US$350 and it was useless. The guarantee doe not apply to user error of the site which I did.

Given the amount of business I had given him perhaps a 50% off the correct adapter would have been nice. Haven't used him since (then again I haven't needed an adapter either!).

Greg.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I think that's a great idea to do it locally. I'd be careful about the moneyback guarantee or replace for free part. Unfortunately you'll get people taking advantage of this.
I think it would be best to offer the money back guarantee and see how it works out. If a customer has supplied correct specs and the part works, why would they return it?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Money back upon return of unwanted part as a guarantee.
That covers you
Old 12-06-2018, 10:19 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Hi Josh,

If you can product good quality adapters at a reasonable price then I reckon you'd get quite a lot of local business.

Cheers,
Rick.
My thoughts as well. There is definitely a local demand.

Quote:
Thanks Matt and Marc.

Marc, i will have to be carefull about that, but i recon I'd have to offer some kind of guarantee, any ideas? And yes, I'd do this on my own.
You'll have to ask for exact specs in a precise predefined format so there is no room for interpretation after acceptance. If the part differs from specs, agreed, then you should provide a new one at your own cost but if it is within specs then that's the buyer's choice. Free part, return, garantee is a can of worms. There might not be much money in custom parts only so it might be worth your while thinking of producing a limited stock of generic spacers, M42/48, TAK threads, etc... The usual stuff that everybody's always after. That could be your cashflow.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Kunama

As an example, some specs I sent to Range88 for my adapters, that way there was no confusion over the specs..

Good luck, though I agree that refund on return of any unwanted part is best policy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M72 to ø65mm.jpg.png)
71.4 KB192 views
Old 12-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Paul Haese

If you can provide a precision local service that is cheaper than Precise Parts, I will certainly support your service. I have spent a great deal of money on adapters over the years and would prefer to pay money to a local service of the same quality.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Always willing to support the locals...
Old 12-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Thankyou everyone for your suport and ideas. It looks like there could be a market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Money back upon return of unwanted part as a guarantee.
That covers you

This does sound like the best option so far.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Wavytone

Always happy to support a local. I’ll need a plate made and a mod to my mirror cell to accommodate a new focusser on my scope - it’s not a standard SCT backend. I have accurate 2D drawings already prepared.

Alternatively could send the mirror cell and focusser to you with drawings to show how it has to fit... backfocus is the issue.

Just a bit hesitant at the moment about disassembling the OTA.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Always happy to support a local.

Alternatively could send the mirror cell and focusser to you with drawings to show how it has to fit... backfocus is the issue.

Just a bit hesitant at the moment about disassembling the OTA.

Thanks Wavytone. I'm sure we could work something out. I've been borrowing a friends lathe for all my recent machining. So I've got to purchase a lathe with a mill first

Last edited by Joshua Bunn; 12-06-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

No worries Andrew. Looking forward to hearing what Mike says.
Thankyou.

Regards, Joshua
Old 13-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Quote:
Thanks Wavytone. I'm sure we could work something out. I've been borrowing a friends lathe for all my recent machining. So I've got to purchase a lathe with a mill first
Joshua,

You probably already know this, BUT........purchase wisely!!! You are considering offering bespoke precision "parts", consequently, you will need to have absolute confidence in the capabilities/accuracy of your equipment, otherwise you could be setting yourself up for both criticism and failure.

All the best.
Old 13-06-2018, 12:36 AM
Stonius (Markus)

There's also something about quality parts - I don't know what it is, but some things when you assemble them they almost screw themselves together the threads are that buttery smooth. Other things rattle, squeal and protest the whole way, even though the threads are correct. I don't know what it is that gives it that lovely smoothness but if you can capture that I think it will go a long way towards building a reputation for quality.
Old 13-06-2018, 06:28 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
No worries Andrew. Looking forward to hearing what Mike says.
Thankyou.

Regards, Joshua
Cheers Joshua,
I'm sure Mike will be able to help and work with you as he's done with others on IIS.

RB
Old 13-06-2018, 07:18 AM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
when you assemble them they almost screw themselves together the threads are that buttery smooth. Other things rattle, squeal and protest the whole way,
That’s related to two things - the choice of materials and the surface finish at microscopic level. Some metals bind badly to the same metal (stainless to stainless, or aluminium to aluminium). The other trick is to apply a trace of lubricant.