Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
snowyskiesau

Tripod purchase advice

Now that I'm getting rid of my astronomy equipment (still unsold by the way ), I've decided I should devote more time to learning how to use my camera properly.

I'm off to Tassie for for the Wooden Boat Festival and I'll be an unofficial part of the road crew for the Tawe Nunnegah. This involves travel through some spectacular scenery, of which I want to take lots of photos.
I think I need a decent tripod so here I am looking for advice.

As usual when seeking advice, I want the best but want to pay the least
A Manfrotto setup woud be nice but I'm not sure the budget will handle it, I do want to avoid getting something too low end that end up being a waste of money.

Camera is a Canon 40D, biggest lens is a 70-200 f4
Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'd suggest a Manfrotto travel tripod. You won't break your back carrying it around and should be sufficiently strong to carry your gear.

www.d-d-photographics.com.au used to have them, but, I can't see them on their site now, bugger.

H
Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
space oddity

If size and weight are an issue and you have something to grip on to, a Joby gorillapod might be suitable. You will need the slr zoom or the 5kg rated one. The slr zoom version holds up to 3kg and weighs about 250g, the 5kg version weighs 500g. Obviously does not hold as securely as a full on Manfrotto, but who wants to fly with a full sized tripod. You do need a secure item to grip on-recently I was photographing the lunar eclipse at Bondi with the bazooka 300 f/2.8 but gripping on to a fence that was decidedly shaky, so the photos were not crash hot and uncomfortable kneeling to shoot.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Chancellor (Jeff)

Just to add a comment about the Gorillapods, they are great products, but I'd go for the Focus if you are looking at this option. I have the SLR-Zoom and while it's ok for lighter lenses, it can take a long time for a lens like the 70-200mm F/4L to settle down. They are very handy to have in the camera bag though.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:47 AM
snowyskiesau

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
A compact tripod would be best for travel so that's what I'm looking for right now.

With the current weight limit on check-in baggage, every gram counts.
Something that will fit in my check-in baggage is a plus so less than 600mm when collapsed.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I've just bought a Benro Carbon Fibre one from Hong Kong on ebay. Very impressed with it's quality. There are a wide range of them available in different sizes. Do some research on the net and work out what size you need, then search for a good price on eBay.

DT
Old 10-01-2011, 12:03 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I agree with David, I have a Benro C-269 Travel Angel on my wish list, compact and light just under $400 including ball head. If you're looking at this tripod you need to be aware that the supplied ball head is a little different to normal and is a better fit on the legs when folded.

Better get Gerry Harvey's permission before you order though....
Old 10-01-2011, 01:00 PM
snowyskiesau

Just been looking at the Benro range. The CF models are a bit rich for my present budget but the aluminium ones are affordable (just).
I'm also going to get a timer/remot and a battery grip, and any other bright, shiny baubles they may have.

I'd appreciate any links to eBay sellers you've used for photography accessories. PM if you prefer.
Any idea what sort of delivery times from HK/CN this time of year? I need to get this before I go away on the 31st.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I bought from these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/KG-HOBBIE?_rdc=1

I put my order in on 19th October, Shipped on 21st October, Arrived on 1st November.

Regards
David T
Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I have a Manfrotto 055PROB tripod and 488RC2 ballhead. This combination is by far the most recommended starting one on POTN. It's well sturdy enough to hold my gear which is heavier than your current one. It's not the most compact, nor the lightest, but it's no brick either.

Old saying that's applicable to tripods - cheap, stable, light. You can have any 2 of those, but not all 3. Similar to mounts I guess.

I have also bought a Benro CF travel angel and a cheap eBay knockoff (Yuongno?) of the Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead. Definitely not as stable as the 055PROB/488RC2 combo, but it's compact, light and cheap. I only use it for plane travel where the priority is compactness and weight over stability. YMMV.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
snowyskiesau

Decision made.

Thanks for the feedback, I've just bought a Benro C-269 Travel Angel. kit.
Hope it arrives in time for the trip south, just in case, I'm getting it delivered to my chum in Hobart.

Tempted to get some extra batteries while I'm in a shopping mood, and charger I can use in the car, and perhaps a remote shutter timer ...

What I really need is this
Attached Images

Last edited by snowyskiesau; 10-01-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I expect that it will be an excellent choice, by all accounts quite solid, I've seen a review that reports it as very sturdy with a 5d on board. Here's the user report.
Old 17-02-2011, 05:15 PM
snowyskiesau

The Benro performed well during the trip (Wooden Boat Festival). Any limitations experienced were entirely mine
Now to sort out the hundred of photos and see what's worth keeping. The problem with taking pictures of lots of wooden boats when you're not a boatie is that they all start to look the same.
Old 17-02-2011, 06:07 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re tripods

I had a look at a Slik 500DX the other day $250 with a pan head built in,looked very good,can handle a heavy load,the legs can pop right out-get down very low.Might worth considering.
Old 17-02-2011, 07:31 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

I recently bought this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

...for under $100AU

A Manfrotto copy, but price was good and it'll handle a 10kg load (in theory) - I know for certain that it handles my 40D and 400mm f5.6 with ease...and the 40D is cooled so it's carrying an additional 500g.
It should carry your 40D/70-200mm with ease.
Comes with a soft carry case.
Cheers
Doug

EDIT: Should've read thread completely, as suggestion now academic!
Old 17-02-2011, 07:51 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re tripod

Glad you posted that link Doug,sure looks and sounds reasonable for that price,I see you mention a fair size lens and camera you use on it,and sounds like your happy-I'll buy my son one of these,and I may end up with one myself.

Thanks for that useful link-Chris
Old 17-02-2011, 09:20 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
Glad you posted that link Doug,sure looks and sounds reasonable for that price,I see you mention a fair size lens and camera you use on it,and sounds like your happy-I'll buy my son one of these,and I may end up with one myself.

Thanks for that useful link-Chris
No worries Chris - glad it helped
Doug
Old 17-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

You weren't spending enough money on Astronomy? Now you're into wooden boats?!
How about '60s jet fighters next?
Apparently they cost about $11,000 per/hr to keep in the air.
Awesome way to get rid of cash!