Old 09-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Carl

buying camera from US

Hi all
Any suggestions where i can securely purchace a new Canon from the US an take advantge of the $$$$$. Want to modify the thing

Cheers Carl
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 PM
En1gma (Robert)

Hi Carl,

I have done this research myself and generally found buying a grey import from china will be cheaper.

There are also companies here that import fro hong kong and provide very competitive prices to the au market.

E.g http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp is my favorite pals ATM. But I suggest you call first to confirm they have stock, otherwise. Hope your patient

Regards
Rob
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Carl

Canon cameras from USA

Thanks
what is a grey import? I dont want to get stuck with a dodgy copy or pay by credit card and say goodbye to my money.

Your thoughts
Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM
En1gma (Robert)

Hi Carl,

A grey import is a product that is not imported through the countrys approved distributors. There are pro's and con's to this. The main con being that the approved distributors/companies will not honour warranty from an item that has not been imported through the approved distributors. That is why grey importers normally have a third party service or honour the warranty themselves under their own cost.

I would be wary of purchasing of ebay (I only trust 2 shops there) but suggest you look for a local grey importer (DWI digital cameras and d-d-photographics) so you do not get stung with import duties for items over $1000

To sum it up, you would just need decide whether you would pay the AURRP with AU warranty or grey import price + 3rd party warranty.

As an example of pricing,
60D body + postage from DWI is ~$998. From digital camera warehouse it is $1435

Essentially, purchasing from the USA is classified as "grey imports"

Regards,
Robert
Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Carl

buying camera

Thank's Robert
Essentialy the warranty is of little use to me. I'm buying it to remove the IR filter. So my main concern is purchasing at a good price thry a retailer that i can trust to not take my money and run

Any further thoughts?

Cheers
Carl
Old 10-11-2010, 07:34 AM
acropolite (Phil)

DWI are a reputable seller from Hong Kong, on AP photography forum they get lots of good comment, Citiwide online (currently the best price for the 7D) are also good, I've dealt with them and found them to be excellent. FWIW DWI also have a local sydney service agent, although if you're voiding the warranty that's of little concern, that said you could have the charger or battery fail for example and need replacement.

I think you'll find many other sellers from that region who offer excellent service and price, the best way is to look at eBay sellers and see which ones have the best feedback, if they have thousands of sales and almost 99%+ feedback it's safe to assume they're not dodgy.

You need to be aware that if the total purchase price including freight is over $1000 you may get slugged GST when the item arrives in the country.
Old 14-11-2010, 12:44 AM
StarLane
Futurist

I've purchased a number of big ticket items from these guys in the recent past and found them professional and trust worthy. I did also purchase extended international warranty from Mack Camera.

www.camerasdirect.com.au

www.d-d-photographics.com.au
Old 14-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Buy it from Hong Kong off ebay with paypal.
Old 14-11-2010, 08:13 AM
StarLane
Futurist

Oh, also forgot these guys,

www.d-d-electronics.com.sg/

This is the parent company for DD Photographics here in OZ but their prices are even cheaper. They are based in Singapore. I've purchased from them once before, very happy.