Old 07-02-2014, 12:18 PM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Canon 600D Zoom Use - Resoulution?

Hi, I do not know if anybody can help me but I just purchased a Canon 600D. I have been previously been using a Meade DSI II Colour CCD.
But I have a problem in not knowing how to zoom into an object without to much loss of resolution? I was able to acquire two images of the same target (NGC4038) but one, with the Meade DSI, and one with the Canon. I zoomed into both images and found the pixels per arc minute of the sky are much the same and I am getting no benefit from a the 18mb cannon as it has an extremely wide field of view. I was told I can control this by Software to increase the resolution of the arc per minutes??? I am using an Orion 254mm f3.9 Astrograph.
The Meade gives a field of view like a 6mm eyepiece, which about what I want..... but the cannon seems to be bigger than a 35mm eyepiece.
I have both, latest version's of Maxim DL, which supports both camera's and APT (Astro Photography Tool) which works extremely well with the Canon but does not recognise the Meade DSI 64bit driver.
Can any body point me in the right direction to be able to zoom into my shots with the Canon to get better resolution in my images??
Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Rodney,
I assume you're using the Canon body at prime focus?
If you've already checked the relative plate scales (arc sec/pixel) then I'd say that's as good as it gets.
The change the plate scale you need to change the optical path - longer focal lengths give larger arc sec/ pixel.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:48 PM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Rodney,
I assume you're using the Canon body at prime focus?
If you've already checked the relative plate scales (arc sec/pixel) then I'd say that's as good as it gets.
The change the plate scale you need to change the optical path - longer focal lengths give larger arc sec/ pixel.
Thanks Merlin66, yes I am at prime focus using a T/Ring on the Camera Body. If that is the case I will have to get a different Camera or Scope. I was thinking that one day I would like to own a 14" Meade SCT? but that's a long way away and looks like I will have do some extra trial with both Camera's to see which will give the better end results. bugger. I could try for a different CCD but it could cost a bit.
I had a thought that maybe Drizzle might double my pixel resolution if the software supports it at capture with the aid of a Guiding Camera. Is this the same as Dithering as I saw motioned in APT.???

Last edited by rodroger; 07-02-2014 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Extra Question